switching emg position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching emg position

I have a Jackson DK1 with emg pickups. While reading post on hear I have seen some of you talking about switching the positions of the pickups. Right now the EMG 85 is at the neck position and the 81 at the bridge. What would I gain by swapping them, 85 at the bridge... And is this something I can do myself easly?

Yes, it's easy to do. Just disconnect the clips from the pickups and easily swap them. The 85 is warmer and will give you a beefier sound in the bridge, the 81 is brighter. If you don't care for it, you can easily switch them back.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

guess i just have to take my strings off and do it from the top since there is no access to them from the back. ill just wait for my next string change.

Comment

After Joetam raving about the 85 in the bridge for so long, I finally tried it. I don't like it personally, sounds muddy to me. I'll be putting an 81 back in there.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

So send all your 85s to me, Mark!

Comment

I would second TJ's suggestion about the 85.
            It's a much nicer pickup overall than the 81.

Comment

clashing of the heads
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I am hoping to switch them around myself this week and see how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  So send all your 85s to me, Mark!
                  Paypal me and they'll be on their way! How many you need?

Comment

EMGs are great to experiment with due to the ease of swicthing them. I love my KH21 set (2 81s prewired with a toggle, 2 volume and one tone). 81 Beck/85 Bridge will give you a Zakk Wylde tone. I love the 81 in the neck personally. Never tried the 85 in the bridge though. Still as easy as it is to change them, why not experiment?

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      EMGs are great to experiment with due to the ease of swicthing them. I love my KH21 set (2 81s prewired with a toggle, 2 volume and one tone). 81 Beck/85 Bridge will give you a Zakk Wylde tone. I love the 81 in the neck personally. Never tried the 85 in the bridge though. Still as easy as it is to change them, why not experiment?
                      actually Zakk uses the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

i tried the 85 in the bridge before and came to the conclusion of a previous poster...muddy. and it sounded very scooped. not enough high end cut. i love the 85 in the neck though! but the 81 is where its at for me (in the bridge position) just so tight and lots of cut.
                      My metal band Lucian Scott
                      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

See there Joetam, it's not just me! :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                          actually Zakk uses the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

i tried the 85 in the bridge before and came to the conclusion of a previous poster...muddy. and it sounded very scooped. not enough high end cut. i love the 85 in the neck though! but the 81 is where its at for me (in the bridge position) just so tight and lots of cut.
                          MY bad

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                            See there Joetam, it's not just me! :ROTF:
                            LOL Well, I know there's other board members that feel the same as me, so...
                            My all mahogany Les Paul seems to like the 85 just fine in the bridge... no mud at all. Maybe you guys need to work on your amp eq'ing skills or something?? :ROTF:

Comment

Worked great. Sounds really good this way. Toejam you brought up a good point with EQ. I have a GE-7 in my loop but to be honest im not sure what i did when I scooped the mids. I just aimed for a V shape and it sounds great. Is there any documentation on EQ settings and how it all works.

Comment

Working...
                              X