Active preamp wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active preamp wiring?

Ive got a soloist pro, it came with a J50C humbucker at bridge, two stacked onesin neck and middle, and an active mid boost which was taken out. I was wondering if anyone knows a relatively simple way in which the circuit board for this preamp, and a battery, can be used to provide a gain boost. I dont necessarily want the complexity of wiring up the whole midboost section again, although that is an option if anybody could point me to a diagram. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] please help

Re: Active preamp wiring?

well, if you want a gainboost, you'd better go with the gainboost-circuit. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I don't now what would be left to wire, if you are about to install the circuit itself?
    I think there is no half installation way.

any further comments to what exactly you are about?

here's your diagram anyway.
    hope I could help you out.

I fooled around with those units for ages too, if you got any questions left, feel free to ask.
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Wow thanks a lot dude, that looks like it could be very useful. infact im going to have a go now.
      i might post again soon either in joy/horror
      cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      john

Comment

right heres an update. I was installing the circuit board, i tried it and it either didnt work/sounded all dodgy whatever i tried. So i thought fk it its probably broken [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Then i installed a killswitch instead,just so that i hadnt totally wasted my time opening the guitar and soldering. It works really really well, the mini toggle i used is an ernie ball one and it shows, incredibly easily to move but very very sturdy and with no 'middle zone' in between the on and off positions. So i used the harmonizer fucntion on my gfx4, and i havebeen playing the opening sequnece of "know your enemy" my RATM for the last half hour.

thanks very much micha i wouldnt have even thought of putting the PCB back in without your help (is that a good or bad thing [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) but anyway thanks!
        killswitches rule!
        john [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm...maybe you should check out EMG's gain boost circuit instead of shopping for new pickups? I've never used one, but they're supposed to work with both active and passive circuitry.

Just a thought.

Comment

hey john!
            yahman!! killswitches rule big time!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            but I wonder why you didn't get that circuit to work?
            what pots do you use?
            as fas as I know you need stronger ones to make a jackson active circuit runnin.... 500k is what I have installed.
            maybe that's your fault. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

@sunbane;
            I think it's lot of trouble and soldering to get the active circuit and the active PU work together...
            and where to put all these batteries? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah that is always an option. I really dont know where I am regarding pickups, as I only have the PAF copies on my les paul to compare with. I do know that I want a higher output pickup with more punch, but probably not to the extent of what it was with the preamp installed. Im going to try and say firmly what I want from new pickups/booster:
              Higher output than the J50C
              Retain the natural tone of the guitar
              Good for clean work, but not to the detriment of distortion
              Not necessarily one designed for heavy metal levels or distortion, its not my main style
              Equally good for rhythm and lead, but perhaps more favouring rhythm work - chunky, powerful

there is my craply explained list of requirements [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              any ideas guys? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit powered by lace humbuckers look like maybe a nice option?

[ November 02, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: john-boro ]

Comment

sorry, I completely forgot about this thread... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

well, if you want to keep the character and just boost the output, an active JE preamp would prbably not be the best choice for you.

the JE1200 will change your frequencies and the JE1000 would increase gain and make serious cleans almoust impossible.

you're better off with some EMGs or high output duncans IMO (even though a change there would change your sound too).
                I personly know and really like the J50BC, I like its tone and response, but outputwhise, there're stronger PUs to get.

but first; why not check out what you've got?
                the JE1200 is supposed to be a great circuit with many sound variations and quite high output.
                give it another try an be sure to solder correctly. maybe you like what you get even though it's not what you think you're looking for?

I think that's actually the reason for the J50BC; this one is about the best hum in combination with the JE boost systems I've heard...

got mine running with a JE1000 and like it a lot!!

Comment

right I tried the je1200, it worked in that I got sound, but this was extremely fuzzy and unclear. I tried a few times checking the soldering, and I couldn't get it to work. I found a deal on a set of powered by lace hummers for £30 so I'm going to put those in. I noticed that when I did have the preamp installed, the cleans would often clip at loud volumes. Passive is the best route for me I think. if i like the laces, over time I'll replace the neck and middle with them too.
                  Thanks loads for your help micha, much appreciated.
                  john [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

np buddy! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    hope the lace will work good for your needs, sounds like a good deal IMO.
                    cya///

Comment

Working...
                    X