Help Re: Pickup Covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Re: Pickup Covers.

I am thinking of putting some Chrome pickup covers on my humbuckers. One is a DiMarzio Super Distortion and the other is a Humbucker From Hell.

I've seen loads of places that sell them, but can they be fitted to normal humbuckers, does it affect the sound, and is it even possible to do? Or do most shops sell them purely as replacements for exsisting pre covered pickups.

Also I noticed companies like Schaller do a standard 6 hole one, but also a 12 hole one. Would that affect the sound in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help Re: Pickup Covers.

From what I've heard, metal covers make a pickup brighter, plastic covers make a pickup darker. Anyway, DiMarzio does offer covers for some of their pickups, call or email them to find out.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      From what I've heard, metal covers make a pickup brighter, plastic covers make a pickup darker. Anyway, DiMarzio does offer covers for some of their pickups, call or email them to find out.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, that's backwards. By enclosing the pickup in metal you create what is called a Faraday cage. The Faraday cage absorbs outside electrical interferance, giving you a less noisy sound, but it makes your guitar tone darker.

Comment

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, Ace! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No problem. I built a single coil pickup with Alnico V magnets last week with a Faraday cage, and I really like the sound of it. Now I am in the process of building a high-output humbucker, possibly with a Faraday cage as well. The humbucker has been a pain in the A$$. I've put about 3 hours into it, and I am still not finished. Soldering 43 gauge wire(thinner than a human hair) with Teflon insulation is pretty tricky, and the little leads keep snapping. I will be proud of it when I am done, but I don't think I am going to be makng many more humbuckers. Leave that to the manufacturers.
          [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X