Acoustic Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Advice

If I want to lower the action on my Taylor, can I take the bridge out and sand the bottom down without messing up the intonation? I did this on my previous Taylor but that one was a whole lot less expensive than my new one so I didn't really care. I would hate to take it to a luthier to have him to the same thing I can do myself.
    Last edited by MikeStrat; 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

i assume by "take the bridge out" you mean the saddle. if so, then that should work just fine. i've done that to a number of guitars. if you screw up the saddle, taylor sells replacements directly:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...id=1004&page=2
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I did mean the saddle. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I shouldn't. Thanks.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
        can I take the bridge out and sand the bottom down without messing up the intonation?
        Yep, that's pretty much how you set up the action on any acoustic. If you sand off too much, don't be afraid to shim it back up a bit with some small strips if tin foil. Or you could do like the rich kids (hippieboy) and just buy a new saddle.:ROTF:
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Why don't you buy a new saddle blank and sand it to your liking, while leaving the original alone?
          If you sand it down too far and need to shim it you will lose valuable tone with shims- they rob sustain too.
          You may also try different materials- fossilized walrus tusk is popular as well as ivory- the only issue with those over bone or synthetic is the hardness fluctuates across the saddle - sometimes creating 'flat' spots with less sustain. Also you should consider pin replacement- makes a difference in tone when you get away from plastic pins.
          Strat God Music
          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
            Or you could do like the rich kids (hippieboy) and just buy a new saddle.:ROTF:
            Well it is a brand new 814ce paid with petty cash for the week.

But I guess that would mean I can't really play.

Comment

Hey Mark, when I want to hear your crap I'll swing by your refrigerator box.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
              X