Switching my EMGs for Duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching my EMGs for Duncans

I am switching the EMGs in my SLSMG for Seymour Duncans, I've bought the JB for the bridge and am thinking I will get a Jazz for the neck. I am not going to use the coil tapping option unless someone can give me a good reason why, like what does that really do? Just give me a more strat-type sound? Or does it cut the output in half so that I can get less output for better cleans?

I made up my mind after going to the local guitar store and switching between a SLSMG (EMG 81 bridge) and a SL3 (JB bridge) they had in the store on a Dual Rectifier... the JB is so much more nuanced while still having a nice sharp attack and wicked crunch there really is no contest. Of course, this was only a 30 minute listening evaluation.

I am going to get the EMGs switched out for the passives, but how hard would it be to get the EMGs re-installed if in the long run I decide the duncans aren't what I am looking for? If I have to change the volume and tone pots and take out the quick connect harness, then I am guessing it won't be easy.

One more question also is, what does the 18 volt mod do for EMGs? If it just adds more output, screw that, but does it do anything soundwise? That might be something I will try too.

you will have to switch out all the electronics (except for the output jack) to switch to Duncans. you just have to disconnect a few wires (pickup wires, wires to the jack) and then you can pull the EMG stuff out still hooked up for easy reinstallation if you ever decide to reinstall them.

the 18 volt mod basically just adds more headroom to the EMGs, and some say it makes them more open sounding and less compressed. i havent tried it personally, because im happy with them at 9v's. it doesnt add output so dont worry about that.

coil-tapping basically turns off one coil of the humbucker to make a single-coil type sound. so basically...yes itll sound more "strat" like, but not exactly the same. better for cleans though to some i suppose
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
    X