Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Floyd Lincenced

I want to install this trem on this body:

Some toll me that I need to redrill for the posts, that's all right, now I need to ask you, the pros, the length between the nut and the bridge, 25.185 or 25.5? What do you recomend me, make the recessed hole for the tremolo, or leave it without recessed cavity?

Would you help me, please? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson Floyd Lincenced

I answered this same question in a previous post of yours. What is it that you don't understand? The post's will have to be plugged and redrilled but they will remain the same distance from the nut. Just plug the old holes, redrill them at 2 7/8" center to center (centered with the fretboard of course) and exactly 25" fron the nut. Do not confuse "scale length" with the distance from the nut to posts.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ok, I know what you told me time ago, and I have already marked where the new holes will be. I accept that I was a little confused before I posted again, but later about few minutes after the message was posted I noticed where I have to redrill, like you said "at the same distance from the nut"... But; You forgot to answer my second question, wich is my main purpose now, if its better to route a reccesed cavity for this tremolo or just redrill and install the tremolo flat mounted on the body. I will appreciate your recomendation bassed on your knoledge, if you still want to help me with your experience. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Pardon me while I chime in but, that Trem has to be non recessed. The block is too long and you can't change it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes that would be correct, the JT6 has the long block so no recessing for you! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Just surface mount it bro, it'll be great!
          BTW, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, just ribbing ya! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Mmm, you're right [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . That's the info I need to know, thanks. That lights my path. The block can't be change but, it can be cut (bad idea? forbidden?) so it can be reccesed, or that trem should be flat mount and just redrill for the posts? If that's the only choice, will there be problems with the necks angle?... or whatever... I'm asking too much because this is the first time I'm in a project guitar (as everybody can see). Got no experience modifying or customizing. Needs that "theory" help from you people.
            [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

If you rout the body to make it a recessed type, you will need to shim the neck in order to get the right string angle. I don't know of any magic formula other than just by trial and error. The shims will need to be placed in the upper portion of the neck pocket to angle the fretboard down toward the bridge. It will be much easier to just leave it top-mounted, unless you want to make the recess so you can pull up further on the trem, and just leave the bridge in it's original position.

Comment

if i were you i'd recess the trem because it looks cool. also, the strings would be angled more paralelle to the body like a strat or tele which seems more natural for me to play rather than angled like a gibson.

i'd also go for the shorter scale length. it reduces string tension which makes bends easier and stuff. gibsons have a shorter scale length than fenders and which makes it easier for the left hand. one thing to remember is that you will need to make sure the fret spacing is set up for whichever scale length you choose. also, shorter scale length means less space in between frets (easier stretches, harder to play higher registers).

i'm sure it will work out with whatever you end up choosing as long as everything is set up properly. scale length and trem position is all preference, really.

good luck! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

quote Morbid: "The block can't be change but, it can be cut (bad idea? forbidden?) so it can be reccesed, or that trem should be flat mount and just redrill for the posts?"

Here's a pic of the predator body I did awhile back. It is a JT6 in a recessed body. All I did was cut the spring block down and redrill the spring holes. Works great! I guess I should have clarified that before telling you that it wouldn't work. Remember to drill the spring holes at an angle or the springs won't stay seated. A lot of things can be made to work if you don't mind a little modifications!

Comment

I haven't drill the holes for the posts yet altought they're marked. Now you gave me another issue [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] , reccesed trem = neck positive angle. I don't want to make the cavity because of cosmetics, I just want the best way for a good performer guitar. Mm2002, now I need to know what do you mean with drill in an angle for the posts,how many º (degrees), towards the neck, or backwards it? Can you tell me how much did the block remain in height? (how much did you cut)?... Let me throw another, If I route the cavity, drill the holes perpendicular the body, cut the trem (if somebody tell me the height of a reccesed trem block has, it will be appreciate) block but raise the trem to a position that it looks like is flat or top mounted, does the neck needs to be shimmed, or doesn't? [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Will it works?

[ October 28, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: morbid ]

Comment

Either way, I think the neck will need a shim. If you have the trem non-recessed, the neck will need to be tilted back. If you recess it, the neck will need to be tilted forward.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That body had a Kahler floating trem, so the neck angle is already there for the non-recessed trem.
                        As for the short-scale, you'd need a Warmoth Conversion neck to do that.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, do you mean that I can just put the trem flat or on top of the body, and the neck can be screw without any shims and with no problem? Can anyone answer my two last questions of my last post? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Morbid, before you break out the drill, I didn't mean to drill the trem posts at an angle, I was talking about the spring holes on the trem block. I was just pointing out that if you are dead set on recessing the trem it CAN be done, but I highly advise against you trying it. Tell ya what, send me the body and I'll mount the JT6 for ya for free (non-recessed). You just pay shipping both ways and supply me with the studs and bushings. You seem to be really into this project and I think you'd have a killer axe with the JT6 on there but I'm not sure you should try it yourself. You could turn that body into firewood. I would do this just to help you out and because you seem like a pretty cool guy. Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer.

[ October 28, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                              You could turn that body into firewood.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, like I did with mine [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X