emg wiring problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg wiring problems...

hi guys..i've try to to install new emg 81 n 85 on my rhoads...i have follow the wiring diagram below...but the volume pot doesn't seems to be working..i use 25k(A) volume pot..any suggestion guys?

Nevermind.
    Last edited by CharvelRocker; 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
      Simple: Buy a 500k one.
      The 25k pot is the correct pot for an EMG.
      A 500k pot will not work properly.

If you wired it as the schematic shows, you could have a bad pot or a bad connection.
      Also, make sure the battery you are using is actually a good one.
      -Rick

Comment

are you pretty adept at soldering? you MAY have overheated the pot and killed it (ive done it before...mistakes happen!)

check ALL the connections, make sure you have the connectors on the correct way on the pickups, no bad solder joints, good battery, etc. you should have a spare if youre only using one pot (like i do! LOL) if you have a spare, try it out but DONT overheat it.

good luck!
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          The 25k pot is the correct pot for an EMG.
          A 500k pot will not work properly.

If you wired it as the schematic shows, you could have a bad pot or a bad connection.
          Also, make sure the battery you are using is actually a good one.
          My bad.

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
          are you pretty adept at soldering? you MAY have overheated the pot and killed it (ive done it before...mistakes happen!)

check ALL the connections, make sure you have the connectors on the correct way on the pickups, no bad solder joints, good battery, etc. you should have a spare if youre only using one pot (like i do! LOL) if you have a spare, try it out but DONT overheat it.

good luck!
          Just of interest how hard is it to overheat and kill a pot?
          Last edited by CharvelRocker; 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

CTS pots are pretty hard to kill, but some of the cheaper ones can be cooked pretty easily.
            I've never cooked an EMG pot before, but then again, I know how to solder.
            -Rick

Comment

hi guys...i've change the pot..but it remains the same...

Comment

Then you've wired it wrong.

Comment

it seem to work like a tone pot now..this is so weird...

Comment

It would help if you described exactly what is happening. From your last post, I assume you have sound. Does the switch work properly? Are both the switch and the pot properly grounded? Have you wired the pickups EXACTLY as shown in the diagram? Then you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

make sure you soldered the jumpers right on the pickup switch.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

basically..i rewired everything...and i followed exactly what the diagram shows..it the same...i run some test...i disconnect all the switching wire..and it does have sounds,even i disconnect all the hot wires..should the shielded wires short or connected with the wihite wires?

Comment

Originally posted by asraf View Post
                          should the shielded wires short or connected with the wihite wires?
                          No.
                          The shielding is a ground wire... the white wires are hot.
                          -Rick

Comment

If the volume pot doesn't work, and you still have sound, then you must have bypassed it somehow (i.e. the signal goes more or less directly to the jack). In this case, I would recommend taking it to someone that has experience with this sort of work.

Comment

Make sure you do not have any of the guitars original grounds connected in the circuit.
                              Next, you may have over soldered the braided wire(s) to the back of the pot.
                              I've had this happend 1 or 2 times.

Did you use heat shrink on the wire splice to the jack? if a bare wire is touching the body inside it will cause problems as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X