Truss rod adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustments

There use to be a bunch of stickies about truss rod adjustments and simple repair work and I did a google search of the site attempting to find a little bit better information but, I came up with nada. So, I hate to ask such simple questions about adjusting a truss rod but, I really would like to start doing more of my own guitar work. So, here it goes.

I have a Jackson soloist that has a bow in the neck. I know that necks are not suppose to be perfectly straight because it doesn't allow for the vibration of the strings above the frets. Is the proper bow for a neck a slight drop off asymptotically as it reaches towards the 24Th fret?

I have a neck which it's clearancs are as follows.

24Th fret ~ .062
    12Th fret ~ .078
    01st fret ~ .031

It appears that it is basically starting to lip up at the 24Th fret area. So, The question I have is how to properly adjust this puppy. I have never done it before but, I understand that I just need to take very small increments and let it sit for a while after each time I do it. But,I am a total nervous noob about this and I am not sure of which direct to turn the tool. So, lets just say, I am sitting down with the guitar headstock pointing towards me, which way would I turn it? And what is the basic rule of thumb for going both directions?

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

manual that came with your guitar, should have all of these directions
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Thanks for the links Razor. I needed a little truss rod edumacation myself.
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

My recommendation is to get Dan Erlewine's book on guitar repair from just about any bookstore. It is the "Bible" of guitar repair and setup. A wise investment in the long run is Dan's video's from www.StewMac.com. Dan also has guest luthiers on his videos. These are totally invaluable resources
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Dan is a very cool guy and the book is a must read if you want to work on your own stuff
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
            manual that came with your guitar, should have all of these directions
            guitars got manuals???
            Hail yesterday

Comment

The only guitar I've ever owned that had a manual with it was a used Ibanez S470. Every other guitar, even the new ones, didn't have a manual.

To the OP: Adjust in small increments. Go too far and you'll break stuff.

For the links...that wizardsofaz one...the intonation adjustment sounds a little fishy to me. Can you really use the string gauge to adjust the saddles?
              Last edited by Spivonious; 01-24-2007, 11:20 AM.
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X