Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG HGL single-coil pickups? What the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG HGL single-coil pickups? What the heck?

I got another set of EMGs off Ebay, this time a hum-single-single set, with the humbucker being an EMG-81 and the two single-coils having "HGL" stickered to the back of them. What are these pickups?

Re: EMG HGL single-coil pickups? What the heck?

I vaguely recall it having to do with some internal EMG identification, an older i.d., apparently. I asked EMG this a while back but no longer have the email.

[ October 21, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: JimmyApollo ]

Comment

The stickers on the backs of the American made EMG active single coils do not denote their model ID. Instead, you can tell by the logo color. Sometimes by the fact that pole pieces show. You got real EMG's, probably SA models.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

You've got the best. HGL = Holy Grail! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I only hope they sound holy. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

They're silver logo EMG single coils, so I don't think they're SAs since those have gold logos. I guess they're most likely the S models which are the only single-coils which have silver logos other than the Telecaster pickups (FTC and such). And, no polepieces are showing, so my best guess is that they are Ss. Whoa... this whole ceramic pickup set is probably going to brighten up the normally dark muddy tone of my basswood RG560 quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X