Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best kind of wood to use.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best kind of wood to use.............

....to build a coffee table. I want one that has good tonal qualities when I accidentally bang my guitar against it. Any ideas?....Chuck?

[ October 21, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: What\'s the best kind of wood to use.............

Mahogany. It gives a deep, rich THUD that resonates quite well. If your house is loud and you really want it to cut through the mix, nothing beats a nice void-free piece of pine.

Comment

Poplar. Poplar rules. I love Poplar. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

*waiting for someone to come in expecting to smack someone else*

wait a minute...

*hides*

Comment

Well that's a first for me o.O
          *noticed the flood protection and got confused*

[ October 22, 2003, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Kamo ]

Comment

Yeah flood protection protects against spammers and p0stwh0res [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'd recommend oak or spruce for a coffee table - leave the tone woods to geetars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
              ....to build a coffee table. I want one that has good tonal qualities when I accidentally bang my guitar against it. Any ideas?....Chuck?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, either your really short or you like your guitar hanging lower than Jimmy Page [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

yeah, poplar is the best sounding, most expensive wood out there. only les paul super customs are made with it and its a 3 year waiting period. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                  Mahogany. It gives a deep, rich THUD that resonates quite well. If your house is loud and you really want it to cut through the mix, nothing beats a nice void-free piece of pine.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] yeah, my house has a tendency to develop a lot of ambient noise and I really need something to cut through the mix! The pine sounds like it may be the right choice for me but I must ask....yes I must.....does the particular wood my guitar's made out of make a big difference? I mean, would a basswood body sound better against pine or mahogany? And would the type of finish make a difference? And what about pickups? Damn, there are so many variables here I'm not sure exactly what to use.
                  Oh and Dave, I was basing this question on me sitting on the couch playing, not standing up. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I'm not sure I even remember how to play standing up! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                    Basswood.
                    It's soft enough not to dent yer axe too much. The table will look like sh-ite - not the guitar!
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I like to use morningwood a lot. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

to sit your coffee on?!?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

To hold his donut!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
                            To hold his donut!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, just one! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, for one of those mini Dunkin' Donuts. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X