Crazy Pickup Idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Pickup Idea...

I was setting looking at Seymour-Duncan information when I got this idea: Put the Jb on my DK2T in the neck and the Jazz at the bridge. The JB would have a really hot Slash-like tone with the alinco magent wouldnt it? Also wouldnt the Jazz be nice and smooth at the bridge? Or am I just crazy? So anyone every tried this?

I'm guessing the Jazz would sound brittle and weak in the bridge pos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      I'm guessing the Jazz would sound brittle and weak in the bridge pos.

+1. I agree.

Comment

I agree too, but the JB will sound absolutely killer in the neck.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hmm, in that case maybe I'll switch them to try it and just use the neck pickup until I get the cash to buy something liek a DiMarzio for the bridge. what would you suggest? I'm thinking a PAF Pro, PAF Joe, a Humbucker From Hell, a Fred, or an Evo2.

EDIT: Heck, I'd probably do something with coil tapping just for fun.
          Last edited by CharvelRocker; 01-21-2007, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Get an X2N in the Bridge. I have it, its a beast from the deepest pits of hell
            Gear--- 2005 ESP LTD Dave Mustaine Axxion
            Roland Micro Cube

Comment

Is it a really hot pickup up? Like compared to a JB? Also, another question: Is it possible to test the pickups in a condifg withotu solderign them, IE cut the wories on the pot from the pickup, and then wrap the wires from the pickup onto the oens left on the pot? I woudl rather not solder for a simple test if I would like something

Comment

You can take your meter and test while soldered together.JBs are sweet in the neck, pair it up with a DD for the bridge.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  You can take your meter and test while soldered together.JBs are sweet in the neck, pair it up with a DD for the bridge.
                  I mean playing it. I want to see what each one sounds like, don't want to soldering something I know I will remove at least once to install the Push/Pull coil tap.

Comment

How does this sound Bridge: DiMarzio EVO2; Neck: Seymour Duncan JB? I was thinking of having an EMG Afterburner installed and having the tone pot removed as I never use it, and have the volume pot replaced with a Coil Tapping one. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      Is it a really hot pickup up? Like compared to a JB?
                      Yes, the X2N is really hot. The highest output pickup that DiMarzio makes, according to themselves. It is definitely on par with EMGs, probably even hotter. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it has a clear and tight bottom end.

The only thing I had against it, was the flat EQ curve. I like lots of mids in my lead sound, and the X2N had a bit of a "scooped" sound to it, even with the mids bumped on the amp. It kills for tight rhytm playing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        Yes, the X2N is really hot. The highest output pickup that DiMarzio makes, according to themselves. It is definitely on par with EMGs, probably even hotter. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it has a clear and tight bottom end.

The only thing I had against it, was the flat EQ curve. I like lots of mids in my lead sound, and the X2N had a bit of a "scooped" sound to it, even with the mids bumped on the amp. It kills for tight rhytm playing though.
                        Try a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position. I just recently bought 2 of them and put them in the bridge positions of my Charvel model 375 and a Fender Strat, and they sound killer. I think the Super Distortion sounds better than a Duncan Distortion. It sounds "tighter," has less shrill in the higher freqs and has more mids and a little more bass. Overall, I'm loving the Super Distortion more and more. I bought my first one back in the early 80's and put it in a Les Paul. The second and third ones are the ones I mentioned above. I think I have re-discovered Dimarzios.
                        Guitars:
                        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                        1988 Model 2,
                        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                        RR3
                        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

Yes, the Super D is amazing, i borrowed an old strat for a couple of days with one and it sounded ridicously good, i want one myself again, and might just need another Charvel to put it in.

Comment

I spoke with an SD rep at NAMM about JB's and Screamin demons.

With the specific guitar we were discussing, (all mahog ebony FB neckthru warrior) he said the JB bridge and Demon neck should be a good combo and compliment each other nicely even though the JB output is nearly double the demon.

Armed with this info fresh in my mind....I say good luck finding a powerfull enough pup for the bridge to balance that JB...... or add a booster circuit to your bridge maybe?

Comment

I'm very close to finishing my model 3 that has a SD Invader in the bridge and a SD JB jr in the neck..My guess is that it's gonna be KILLER!
                              My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Working...
                              X