Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paid a lot for a fret dress....got fret BUZZ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid a lot for a fret dress....got fret BUZZ!

I was having a lot of fret buzz recently on my KVX10. I tried adjusting the truss rod for a slight relief, rasied the action and still had a ton of buzz. No matter how high I raised the action I got buzz up and down the low E and A string. I suspected some high frets. I took it to a local tech who inspected it and said that's exactly it. He did a full fret dress and setup. I paid $125 which I thought was high, but I couldn't do anything with it so I said what the heck.

Just got it back today. I played it in the shop without a pick for 5 seconds and it sounded ok. I just now got to really play it and when you hit the Low E and A strings with any kind of force with a pick you get buzz from the first fret all the way up the neck. I like a low action and it's about a hair above
    4/64's at the low E and about 3/64's at the high E (measured with a machinist rule). I should be able to get this with no buzz right? I am now getting a buzz at every fret on both the A and E. If you just ever so slightly pick the string its ok, but use even what I would consider mild force it's buzz city.

I'm really PISSED right now! I just wanted to double check that I'm not out of line with what I expect from this guitar. OR for that kind of money. 4/64's is not extremely low action right? I plan on taking it back first thing in the morning but wanted some reassurance that I'm not crazy.

Karl

I dunno about action height, but something sounds wacky with your truss rod. I would take it to another shop to get a second opinion about it.

Comment

Might want to check it for a twist (god forbid). I'm sure for that price you could bring it back and have them check it over again.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Karl, $125 could just about get you a Plek job. I've had 2 guitars Plek'd and won't ever again have a human work on my guitar's frets.
        "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Enlighten me on the "Plek job" Im assuming its machine that dresses frets, or some kind of bionic android luthier.
          Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

sounds like a blow job
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=PLEK+USA

Comment

There was a luthier guy at NAMM that had the Plek machine there for a demo. I asked him how much a fret job + Plek costs and he said $225. He's in the West L.A. area.
                Cool info about Plek on his website:
                http://www.frettek.com/

Comment

Man, that's a great deal!

Comment

I brought the guitar back this afternoon. He worked on it for about 20 minutes and said he couldn't figure it out. He said the neck tightened up a bit, but adjusting it didn't help. The low E (standard tuning) and A still buzz when fretting anywhere on the neck. Even the D string buzzes some. It's in standard tuning with Ernie Ball 9s. He kept the guitar and said he'd figure it out somehow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I'm going to have a problem having spent $125 and not getting it in playable shape. I'm going to want my money back, even if it turns out to something that he can't fix. Karl

Comment

Thats fair.

Ive actually been in the same boat. I spent 100$ on a job, and wasnt satisfied with the after result. I wasnt even sure if he did anything.

Ive since stopped going to that tech. Real nice guy, but I question his knowledge and workmanship. Makes you wonder if they actually PLAY the instrument after working on it, or assume your a boob who wouldnt know good action and all that jazz.....

Comment

Working...
                      X