Question about Bass setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Bass setup

Tonight I did a little work on my super cheap Dean Bass. Was 120$ at Music123 a few years back. Now, here's the issue. Ive set the intonation, but on the low e-string it jumps around from note to note, but on the 12th fret, it's the same as an open note without tons of pressure while fretting. Is this caused by a bad string?!? The strings are likely almost 2 years old, so would ponying up 30$ be my fix, or is there anything else I should check like the nut slots?!? I dont wanna spend too much.

Either way, Id like to upgrade this now that Ive played a little more bass. It's a cheap bass, and id like something of a little more quality!

Check frets for uneven wear and put on new strings... it definitely can't hurt.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

spent 30$ on new strings..... stretched, re-intonated and bullshit. Open fret and 12th fret the same, but the 5th fret is 7 cents flat at normal pressure...

God thats frustrating. Frets are fine, its been barely played. Chalk this up to a cheap bass with mis-aligned frets?!?!?

Comment

Mis alinged frets? Fist time I've heard that one.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

hehe, well im speculating that the shoddy construction of the bass may have frets not perfectly in their positions. Thats what my local tech suggested over the fone *shrug*

not a big deal, id like a nice new bass anyways!

Comment

You should be able to make up the diff in the intonation.Are you sure about the scale length?
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well, if you remember that guitars (and basses) cannot be perfectly intonated......
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X