Locking nut for DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking nut for DK2

stupid question, i was wondering if i can just put a standard 43mm floyd locking nut my dk2?

and anyone know if the R3B or R4B from warmoth will fit?

or anywhere else i can get a black one?

thanks

An ofr nut should work just fine. You can get them from www.stewmac.com also
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

OFR and Schaller locking nuts are taller than those on DK2. You have to file the locking nut shelf down to compensate the difference. It is pretty easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
        OFR and Schaller locking nuts are taller than those on DK2. You have to file the locking nut shelf down to compensate the difference.
        I believe this man speaks the truth.

I think the stock Jackson nuts are R4s, btw(?).

It is pretty easy to do.
        I would be deathly afraid to file the shelf unevenly though. I think I would be more comfortable grinding the nut down on a belt sander or something. I'm glad I haven't had to do this yet.

Comment

alright thanks for the help!

Comment

Locking nuts for bound necks are R3.

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
              An ofr nut should work just fine. You can get them from www.stewmac.com also
              http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...g_Nut_Set.html

do you mean this one?
              would i have to make holes in the neck for the screws?

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...g_Nut_Set.html

do you mean this one?
                would i have to make holes in the neck for the screws?
                The OFR nuts that I have seen over the last couple of years are made to accept either mount (Top or Rear).

Like stated earlier in this thread this nut is going to be taller than the one on the DK2. You will need a R3 too not an R4. Both are the same width but an R3 has a narrower string spacing to allow for binding.

Comment

ok great!

thanks!

Comment

So let me get this straight. R3 for guitars with binding, R4 For guitars without. Only reason I ask is I am taking the plundge and building myself a guitar from warmoth.

Comment

I don't understand why the nut would have to compensate for the binding? It's not like the actual neck is any narrower, is there?

Comment

R3/L3 = narrow string spacing
                        R4/L4 = standard

Sunbane: The neck is not smaller but what happens is that the strings then end up over the bindings rather than the fretboard with a R4.

I just got a GroverJackson that had a L4 (lefty version) on a neck with bindings and it is working out ok. I did also order a L3 so I could get a chance to do a side-by-side comparison. But I do believe the highE/lowE strings are closer together in the L3.

I do remember a website that has the actual dimensions (string spacings) for the NUT sizes.

This is all I could find:

#3 Nut Assembly
                        Wide nut, narrow spacing for binding. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40; Radius: 10". 42.9mm / 1.40mm / .275mm

#4 Nut Assembly
                        Wide width, wide spacing. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43; Radius: 10". 42.9mm / 1.43mm/ .275mm

joe...
                        Last edited by GodWentPUNK; 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM.
                        www.godwentpunk.com
                        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
                        X