Heel end neck relief adjusting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel end neck relief adjusting?

I'm trying to adjust a neck which has the adjustment at the heel end. Problem is it's not an exposed adjuster, it's in the pocket when the neck is attached. Have you any suggestions for making this adjusting less painless? On/off/on/off/on/off this is a huge headache.
    Thanks!
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Yeah. I found this out while dealing with this years back.

1) Detune the strings.
    2) Put a capo on fret 1
    3) Remove the neck and make the adjustment
    4) Reattach the neck
    5) Remove the capo
    6) Retune

This way you don't have to remove the strings. The capo will keep them from flopping all over the place.

After some experience with this, you get pretty good with the adjustment. I can usually nail my desired relief in one try....sometimes two tries.

Comment

If you think this is something you are going to be doing several times, Dan Erlwine has a neck jig that is available through Stew Mac. But it is rather expensive, but you can find instructions on how to make it from Home Depot parts. You end up simulating the tension the strings put on the neck and can adjust it off the body and without the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
        If you think this is something you are going to be doing several times, Dan Erlwine has a neck jig that is available through Stew Mac. But it is rather expensive, but you can find instructions on how to make it from Home Depot parts. You end up simulating the tension the strings put on the neck and can adjust it off the body and without the strings.
        If buzzsaw considers it a pain taking a neck on and off several times, I'm sure building a fucking jig is the holy grail of all answers to his problem .

Buzz, it usually doesn't take more than taking off the neck twice. You get a pretty good feel for it after just one adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
          Have you any suggestions for making this adjusting less painless?
          Buy a guitar with the truss rod adjustment at the nut next time?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, sadly the only thing I can suggest is that once you get it set correctly, take the neck off one last time and memorize how it looks when sighting down the edge of the neck, then try to find another neck and set it the same way, mount it, string it, and see if it works.

Usually though to get a flat neck at tension you'll want the unattached neck to bow backwards just a bit, depending on your tuning. For Standard E tuning, you'll want just enough that it's noticeable, but for lower tunings, even using heavier strings, you'll want it not as noticeable.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks guys, one thing I'm worried about taking the neck on/off many time is the holes in the neck becoming enlarged and maybe allowing some slight movement. Is this something to worry about? Maybe I am being a worry wart as usual.
              I am trying to get it setup for downtuned use. The neck seems very sensitive and I am frustrated with it, LOL I put it away last night because I was getting pissed,

Comment

Roll the first few threads of the neck screws over a bar of soap (dry)that will lube the holes in the neck and make it eaiser the next time you take it off.Just don't overtighten the screws, solid but not so tight you bend the neck plate.I loosen the strings, capo at the first fret loosen the neck plate then loosen the two rear screws all the way loosen the two front screws about half way tilt the neck up and make the adj.I do mark the end of the neck and screw as a baseline if I have to make another adj.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

whew, finally satisfied :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                  X