Wiring/pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring/pot question

Hey I have a quick question about a push/pull pot for coil splitting. In the diagram below, the pot is supposed to be wired to the bottom right? would that be the absolute bottom of the pot or would it be on the round part? Or are they connected either way meaning it wouldn't matter?<br>

Its a stupid question but I might as well asking to avoid finding out the hard way. I started this here because I got no response off the ESP forum.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking, but I find the easiest way to look at a push-pull pot is to look at it as two completely separate items.....a switch & a pot. You're gonna want to ground either the upper or lower (not the middle) switch lug(s) depending on whether you want it to split when you have the knob up or down.

Comment

I want it to split when it is up. I just find the wiring diagrams a little confusing to look at and I don't ave $50 dollars to spend paying someone to do what I can figure out by asking.

Reference:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1vol_split.jpg
      Last edited by MaXDGaD; 01-17-2007, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what your question is. Are you talking about where the soldered ground wires go, either the switch or the pot? You should link the pot body and the switch body, then you can run the grounds off of either. In the attached pic, you can see a little bare solid silver colored wire that links the grounded lug on the pot body to the flat side plate of the switch, and you can see the ground wires (far right, blue and thick stranded wire) coming off that bottom tab of the switch.
        (pic from my ESP Lynch Kami by the way)
        Is that what you needed?

Comment

If the switch section is physically connected to the metal of the pot, then you could probably ground either place. However, the last push-pull I did (quite some time ago), I believe I ran a wire from the pot lug and a wire from the switch lug and soldered them at one point on the flat, switch portion of the pot.

Comment

Yeah thanks thats what I needed. I was wondering about that because the diagram implied that the switch might not be completely connected but on this push/pull pot I have it is connected together so I was wondering if grounding the wires to the pot portion or switch portion would create any difference. The picture helps alot too.

Comment

Originally posted by MaXDGaD View Post
              I want it to split when it is up. I just find the wiring diagrams a little confusing to look at and I don't ave $50 dollars to spend paying someone to do what I can figure out by asking.

Reference:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1vol_split.jpg
              If you think about the duncan diagram for a few minutes, you'll realize the two lugs on the switch you should use are the two closest to the bottom of the pot. Turn the diagram upsidedown and it will better match with your view of the pot/switch.

In my pic, pulling up engages the two white wires, pushing down engages the fat middle white and the black on the right. So for your 'up for tap' needs you'd be using the lugs like my two white wires do.

Comment

Working...
              X