Question about neck movement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about neck movement...

Im enjoying my Ibanez. However, I have a slight quandry. The neck bolts are super tight, no issues there. But if I push on it, I can throw it out of tune in the one direction. I can then set it back by pushing the other way. Im not hammering on it, but applying a little force makes me wonder if the neck isnt tight in the pocket, or if I just need to be more gentle with the guitar. Im used to my neck thru's and this isnt an issue there. Should I re-inforce it, or learn to handle it with more care.

I put on locking tuners and im going to change the nut over to a graphtech here, but I want great tuning stability. IT sure doesnt take much to throw it out a few cents. I've stretched the strings numerous times and im having issues keeping the ole girl in tune!

When you say you push on it, are you talking moving the neck left and right or towards the body away from the body?

If its the left/right to the body (ie the neck is wiggling in the pocket), adding a shim of very very thin folded over sandpaper between the neck and body should help stop that. If its towards/away from the body, the strings could be hanging up in the nut slots.

Comment

Dog, it's left or right. Ive got some heavy duty grip tape I was thinking about stuffing in the pocket under the whole thing. It's self adhesive, but that MAY be overboard?!

Comment

also gonna mentioned, I can put it 30-40 cents out of tune by simply pressing on it either way with ease. This isnt sustained bends either, just a decent nudge to the neck, then it stays there!

Comment

The grip tape will work, but it will probably be too thick. You want to keep the material as thin as possible so it maintains close to the original neck to body heights.

I just remembered they sell at drug stores in the stationary aisle some really thin clear double sided-sticky tape. It's like 1/2" wide and comes in a dispenser like 'scotch tape' does. A couple strips of that in the pocket should do ya. The tape has a 'cover' so you pull of 1-1/2" or so, put in pocket and push down hard, then peel off the top cover layer which will expose the 2nd sticky side.

Comment

Thanks dog. Put that on the sides of the pocket, or the bottom?!? I also dont wanna go too thick so that a crack could develope.

Ive done mroe testing and this guitar seems really tempermental in terms of tuning. I filed the nut, put on locking tuners, put graphite in the slot, and still it keeps slipping :S

Theres 4 cents of difference between holding the guitar at a flat plane, to 45 degree's up in the air. I didnt realise that happened on fixed bridge guitars :s

Comment

a strip or two in the bottom of the pocket.

Sounds like you've done everything else you need to do. See what happens once you get the neck 'stuck' in place.

By the way, guitars do 'tune' differently laying flat on a bench vs. on a strap/on your knee. Most people suggest when doing intonations to do the adjustments on the bench, but check it in playing position.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                I just remembered they sell at drug stores in the stationary aisle some really thin clear double sided-sticky tape. It's like 1/2" wide and comes in a dispenser like 'scotch tape' does. A couple strips of that in the pocket should do ya. The tape has a 'cover' so you pull of 1-1/2" or so, put in pocket and push down hard, then peel off the top cover layer which will expose the 2nd sticky side.

That's a great idea!! Never thought of that, the sandpaper shim was what popped into my head when I read the first post. I'll have to remember that if I run into that problem (Made a note of it in my guitar repair book.) Again, very cool idea!
                Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

I put in some heavy duty grip tape. It's adhesive on the one side and quite gritty, yet not thick. I'll post my results, however I can "hear it"..

If all else fails, im gonna glue the fuck out of it. It's a great guitar, and I only paid a small amount, so blah

Comment

Since it's moving treble-to-bass, put the tape/shim in the rear edge of the pocket, not between the bolts.

And yes, tilting the guitar on its back will cause the pitch to raise on any guitar - it's the neck bending backwards at the head due to the weight of the tuners - there's no support for the head, so it bends slightly.

For future reference, don't push on a guitar neck like that, it strips the holes in the neck.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

lol, where were you 3 hours ago Newc :p

Still experimenting. I feel like such a n00b, but it's frustrating dealing with tuning issues. Im playing a 200$ Ibanez after selling me much nicer Sl2H. Sounds great, but I miss the tuning stability of a locked and blocked Floyd on a neckthru!

Comment

another tidbit. These planet waves tuenrs are heavy! I finally realised it wasnt the neck shifting at all. It's the tuners and my tuning technique. Quite odd, and ive never had this issue, but glad I learned!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                          another tidbit. These planet waves tuenrs are heavy! I finally realised it wasnt the neck shifting at all. It's the tuners and my tuning technique. Quite odd, and ive never had this issue, but glad I learned!!!
                          So the tuners were slipping?
                          Scott

Comment

Because I forgot to tighten the top threads when I installed them!

It's all holding tune a lot better now, just needed a little love, which is to be expected on a 200$ import.

Comment

Working...
                            X