EMG-HZ's and some other tech stuff..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG-HZ's and some other tech stuff..

I bought a 2001 MG series Warrior about a year ago that was essentially new old stock, In other words it was new, but sat in a guitar shop for 5 years. Being a 01 model it came with EMG-HZs and the "Afterburner" 20db active gain boost push-pull pot VS. the active 81/85 combo they come with today. I cant find much info on older model Warriors but from what I can gather it has the EMG-HZ H4 at the bridge(as you may know there are several different HZ pickups). Is this correct? And what the hell is in the neck, its an HZ too but I cant figure out which one. This is just for the sake of knowing for sure, cuz I love how the guitar sounds for my style, just be nice to know.

Question 2: Like I said Ive had this guitar for about a year, and I play the hell out of it. Im wondering how long it will be before I need the frets leveled/re-shaped. I play anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours a day on weekdays, and sometimes as much as 10 hours on weekends. I'm kinda heavy handed I'd say in that when Im rocking out rhythm low on the board or doing pinched harmonics w/ vibrato, I tend to give it hell, and it shows on the frets. About 6 months ago I taped off the board and with 1000 grit sand paper, sanded the frets till the divets where gone(which wasnt much really) then polished them up with ultra fine steel wool. Obviously I dont want to do that continually instead of getting the frets dressed since it will kill the crowns but how many times could I get away with that? Sorry for the long post, figured one instead of two....
    Thanks.
    Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

As far as I know, Jackson never used H4s. They should be H3s. Why don't you just pull the pups and have a look?

Comment

In my WRMG, both pickups were H3s, and as Sunbane said - Jackson never used H4s. So I guess you'd have two H3s in there as well.

Comment

My DKMG came stock with H3s. Pulled them for 81/85 and they're definately H3s. Just for info purposes... the "Turbo Charger" I pulled too and it's actually an EMG "Afterburner", it's stamped right on the cuircut board. You can see it on EMG's website.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          As far as I know, Jackson never used H4s. They should be H3s. Why don't you just pull the pups and have a look?
          Because I figured it would be easier to just ask you guys....and I was right! Thanks guys.

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
          My DKMG came stock with H3s. Pulled them for 81/85 and they're definately H3s. Just for info purposes... the "Turbo Charger" I pulled too and it's actually an EMG "Afterburner", it's stamped right on the cuircut board. You can see it on EMG's website.

Karl
          Yeah I called it the Afterburner in my post. Did you pull it and replace with the "turbo Charger"?(arent they basically the same thing?) or did you just pull it altogether due to putting in active pups? Do you like the 81/85 alot better?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonWarrior View Post
            Yeah I called it the Afterburner in my post. Did you pull it and replace with the "turbo Charger"?(arent they basically the same thing?) or did you just pull it altogether due to putting in active pups? Do you like the 81/85 alot better?
            Sorry I missed that

Jackson was calling it the "Turbo Charger" and it was called the "Afterburner" if you got it directly from EMG. But yea, it's the same thing; identical part.
            I pulled it when I put the actives in but it really wasn't neccessary to. If you leave it in you'll basically have a Kerry King set up, but with an adjustable 20db gain instead of just on/off. What I really should of done was yank the volume pot under the bridge pup and leave that spot empty and just leave a volume and tone in the 2nd and third position. I will do this some day. The first vol pot is in the F&^ing way!

I really think the active EMG's are a big impovement over the HZ's.

Karl

Comment

To your other question: I've had my WRMG (w/"Turbocharger" and HZ'3's) for 14 months and only recently have I noticed the fret wear. I had the strings replaced and action lowered about a month ago. nothing was done about the neck. the action was rather high when i bought it.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

So it wasnt until 06 that they started putting the 81/85's in MG's huh? I may try different pups eventually but Im much more concerned about getting a quality tube amp first since that will have the biggest effect on my tone. I think its gonna be between the Peavey XXX or a JCM 800.

Comment

As far as question #2 about working on the frets, I'd take it to a tech next time. Big problems can come up if you just work on the worn frets without leveling them all. You'll start to get buzzing from higher frets. It's usually not to expensive to have a tech do it right.

Comment

i'm actually contemplating getting a dk2 neck to replace my WRMG's neck.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      As far as question #2 about working on the frets, I'd take it to a tech next time. Big problems can come up if you just work on the worn frets without leveling them all. You'll start to get buzzing from higher frets. It's usually not to expensive to have a tech do it right.
                      Yeah, gotta find a good tech first. When I first got it I took it to a shop to have them set it up cuz I never had a FR before and asked for low action. Came back to me with the worst action Ive ever seen, way too high. I read up and learned how to do it myself and Ive got it set up great now. 1.5mm at the 12th fret, no buzz at all. I think I'm gonna learn how to do frets too. I understand there are some good books/vids about it. I refuse to take my cars or motorcycles to the shop and I'd like to be that way with my axes too.

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                      i'm actually contemplating getting a dk2 neck to replace my WRMG's neck.
                      I love my neck, whats the big diff that makes you want to do that?

Comment

the fretwear. the dk2 neck feels thinner too.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonWarrior View Post

I love my neck, whats the big diff that makes you want to do that?
                          Sharkfins instead of Piranhas.

Go for it whiner, I mean wilkinsi It should be a direct replacement.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X