Bobbin question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobbin question...

Is it possible to change the bobbins on a humbucker?

I've wondered about the same thing. Anyone? Please?
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

They make bobbin toppers to change the color.
      pretty sure the wire is wrapped around the bobbin, so unless you wanted to replace the wire too, the answer is no.

I may be wrong though. You can swap the magnets.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Here's a link to the bobbin toppers:
        http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The bobbin IS what the wire is wrapped around.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

What difference would it make, other than cosmetic? They all have to be iron for the magnetism, right?
            Scott

Comment

Some folks think the covers ala gibson or baseplates (tele) make a difference. I dunno about bobbins though, other than looks.

Comment

Bobbins are plastic, the slugs fit in the holes in the bobbin, the magnet is on the bottom of the and the wire is wrapped around the bobbin.

Comment

Ah, yes. I don't know why I confused the bobbin and the poles. Yeah I'd have to agree that something plastic in a pickup will make no difference. I can see covers making a difference because some interference would be added...

Question: do P90s have metal bobbins, or is that just a cover?
                  Scott

Comment

Covers just on the bobbin itself would have no effect now a complete cover does have an effect not much tho'

Comment

The main difference you'll get from metal covers is they'll shield the pickup from the front if they are grounded correctly, so your rig should stay quieter when not playing. You'll get a little difference in tone, but not much.

Comment

Working...
                      X