My son wants a guitar and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son wants a guitar and...

He's been looking at Squire Strats etc. Anything cheap. I played a couple of the Squire low end models and they didn't play to bad. Problem is I'd prefer he had a Jackson. Which model at the bottom of the scale? Are the necks stable? Help? BTW the Squire Bullets sell for around $180 so that's the ball park we're in.

[ November 29, 2002, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: MetalHead ]

Re: My son wants a guitar and...

I don't know if any Jacksons are in that price range . You might get him the chepo strat, then if he does well at it, get a dinky or mid level Jackson down the line.
    Extra motivation....
    "son, if you apply yourself and learn to play, a better guitar might be in your future!"

Comment

Can he play guitar?

Because if you decide to go cheap, and it turns out he is a good player, then he probably has to replace his guitar within a year

If you go expensive, and it turns out he can't play, well then you have a nice good guitar to add to your own collection [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

perhaps there are some nice used Jacksons available in that price range

Comment

I think the Squire Bullets are a great guitar for a first guitar. They are sure alot better than the compressed sawdust neck/plywood body POS that I started with. Sure they arent as good as a Soloist, but in that price range the only guitar youre gonna get is a good used guitar, or a Jay Turser guitar like thing......I'd take the used guitar, but I'd take the Squire over any Jay Turser.......

Comment

I started playing with a $110 cheapo LP type axe that was made at the Jackson India factory with leftover parts. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Fast forward to 1.5 years later, and I've just ordered my DK-2 in Hot Rod Flames.

I guess the point is that if you're sure he's gonna stick to playing, go for a nice import! You'll end up saving money in the long run....unless you want a $180 piece of firewood [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You can find some nice Model Charvels for slightly more on Ebay. He'll be more likely to stick to it if he has a quality, easier to play guitar IMHO.

Comment

If your son gets a squire make sure it's the std series and not the affinity series. The affinity series will have "strat" on the headstock. The std series will have "squire stratocaster by fender" on the headstock . The std series will have alnico pickups. You should be able to get one around 180.00 to 229.00 depending on the finish tobacco sunburst being the 229.00
              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
              Amp... Pioneer
              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I'm with JacksonMan...hit eBay for a model series. I have seen them go in the price range indicated, in fact both of these I scored for under 180 and below.

shawnlutz.com

Comment

Do you think he'll play if he has to deal with learning the workings of a Floyd? I'd suggest starting him out with a fixed or fulcrum bridge for this first guitar, so he can focus on playing. If he decides that he wants to stick with playing guitar, then maybe work him into something with a Floyd. My first Jackson was a JS1, which are around $200 at Guitar Center. Cheap as it was, that guitar never gave me any problems. And the Squier II that I had before that was also a good guitar.
                  sigpic

Comment

definitely something w/o a floyd. fixed, all the way. those things can be damn frustrating for someone just learning guitar. i've seen those cheapo ESP LTD string thru vipers for under $200 in Musician's Friend, i personally wouldn't get him a squire. he needs friggin' humbuckers for crying out loud! peace.

Comment

Can't you just let him keep one of yours in his room

Comment

I agree with metalchef. My brother got my 7 yo a 1/2 size squier and a little VOX pathfinder for Christmas last year. If he takes off with it at some point in the future I will upgrade.

Comment

If you are adamant about sticking to around the $200 mark, I would also suggest a model series Charvel off of Ebay, but if you are inclined to climb a bit higher, I would suggest the DK2 or DXMG. Both can be had for right around $300 on the net, and they both sound and play pretty good. If the kid keeps with it then you can upgrade the electronics (pickups, etc.).
                          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I have to throw out a vote for a Yamaha Pacifica. A low line one runs under $200 new, and are on eBay all the time for around $100. The higher lines are often available there for not much more, too - a used 921 for under $200 is an AWESOME instrument. These have to be the most undervalued (and thus the best deals) guitars going right now.

Comment

Hello,

my son also wants to start guitar, he is 12. I bought him an Ibanez GRX20. It's a very basic guitar, two humbuckers, non locking tremelo. I also looked at the squiers, but this just felt better IMO.

DRH

Comment

Working...
                              X