Clear All

• Neck vs Bridge PUPS

So when you order a seymour duncan lets say a pearly gates
    they specify neck or bridge pups like

sh-PG1b or sh-PG1n

what is the difference between the two?
    would there be a ton of difference if I put a
    bridge pup in the neck position?

Neck pickups have less output than their bridge counterpart because the string vibration has a lot more amplitude as you move toward the middle, away from the bridge. Sometimes a bridge pickup sounds fine in the neck, and can balance well depending on how hot of a pickup you have in the bridge. I actually have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in the neck position of my 750XL and it balances great with the Distortion in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      Neck pickups have less output than their bridge counterpart because the string vibration has a lot more amplitude as you move toward the middle, away from the bridge. Sometimes a bridge pickup sounds fine in the neck, and can balance well depending on how hot of a pickup you have in the bridge. I actually have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in the neck position of my 750XL and it balances great with the Distortion in the bridge.
      NNIIICCCCEEEE!!!! Thanks a million for posting that! I have the same setup ready to install when I noticed the Pearly gates I ordered was a bridge pup.
      It was supposed to be a pearly gates neck so sounds like I am ok because the bridge is a duncan distortion
      Thanks again man!

Comment

The same exact thing happened to me, and the place I bought it from told me to go ahead, try it out & if I wanted to make the switch they'd do the exchange. I tried it out & really liked it. Some pickups have a really big output difference between the neck & bridge models and might not work out well. The Invader & the Full Shred are good examples. The Pearly Gates has just a 1k or so difference in DC resistance between the neck & bridge models.

Comment

Ya know for the bridge pups I was thinking of another order. For the bridge I have a SH-14 custom 5, think that will match up well with the pearly gates bridge in the neck position? I'll try it I guess

Comment

Working...
          X