Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Trems, compared to more modern Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Trems, compared to more modern Floyds?

Seems to me..(im very uniformed!) That these holy grail Vintage brass
    trems would be lousy at staying in tune? Plus no fine tuners? Why the
    interest? I know i sure dont like the Fender Strats that reissue the old
    cheap spring trems from the early 60's! Tradition isnt that important
    if there is a better mousetrap? Your thoughts?

Aside from the "original San Dimas" look factor, I think that yes, these vintage brass bridges don't stay in tune too well, but they sound better. Not a major difference, but noticeable to my ears.

Since they are non-locking, obviously you don't need fine tuners though.

Comment

Agreed it's the tradition and the look factor. I do like their sound, but they don't stay in tune as well as a locking trem. Period! They are ok on the stratheads but not very desirable on the pointys. Look at all the new Charvel pointys with the vintage trems. Hell, you practically can't give them away.

Comment

for slight trem work (Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc) the older trems seem to work fine. but for any heavy abuse a Floyd is going to be the better choice obviously. you couldnt dive bomb and flap the strings then do a big harmonic squeal and stay in tune on a vintage trem!
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

i prefer V-trems to floyds, but i also have them flush with the body and i don't use the bar. although i'm starting to think that black floyds are tone suckers or something to that extent.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The plating on black trems definitely alters the tone, probably because it's so thick.

V-trems make a new guitar look old IMO. A brand new Charvel with an old-style Fender trem is a denial of the intent of the instrument. Yes, EVH and Rhoads both would have had OFRs on their guitars if it had been as widely available back then as they are now. Hendrix would have loved one. If Leo Fender had come up with the idea instead of the v-trem, you wouldn't see a v-trem on anything.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Getting a V-trem to stay in tune is not that hard.Making sure the trem block is notched for the trem springs to sit at deeper angle.Polishing the 6 pivot holes on the bottom and top of the base plate(taking off the casting burrs)and cutting the nut slots correctly and polishing them to get them as smooth as possible and then they work damn good and stay in tune.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Some of the early '80s MIJ Ibanez guitars had nice looking brass bridges on them, I bought one for $50 and was gonna use the trem for my Boogie Bodies strat, but I decided to stick with the Fender bridge, Leo got a whole lot of things right the first time.

Comment

Working...
                X