Wiring/5-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring/5-way

Well, I have to admit that I'm new at trying wiring a guitar - I have changed humbuckers a couple of times..
    The thing is, I bought this 80's Yamaha se 700 e, and it needed to solder most of the wires, the previous owner couldn't bother and sold it to me..
    I've got most of the wires in place, but I need some help/hints on the 5-way..
    Ok, the setup is HSS, one volume, one tone and the 5-way..The 5-way is the kind with 8 solder-points in line - and I can only get sound from one pu at a time, what am I doing wrong? I've searched the net for possibilities, and from what I've gathered, you only use the first 3 points for the pu's, and I only get sound from the middle solderpoint no matter which position the switch is in..

I used this, page 3: http://www.artecsound.com/wiring/wiring_book01.pdf

All the pu's make sound when I place the wires in slot no.2, but when I put one of the wires in slot 1 and turn the switch there's no sound..
    Any ideas?

And oh, what's the correct way to hook up the tone-pot? Where does the capacitor go, on which solderpoints I mean?

Sorry for the long, boring post!!
    Last edited by MortenP; 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM.
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Hi

You can look here ....
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...4.html#details

There´s a pretty decent instruction on wiring a 5way switch for all kinds of pickup configurations.
    Hope this helps

Greetz Briareos

Comment

But can anyone tell me the right way of wiring an enclosed 5-way switch, like those in Charvels? Is it like this: 1st lug towards the neck: neck pu, 2nd lug towards the nec: mid pu, 3rd lug: bridge pu, 4th lug: hot wire from volume pot..The other 4 lugs are not in use..

Am I wrong? I can't get any sound from the guitar..

Comment

Go to an electronics supply store and get a bag of jumper leads. They are small wire sets with alligator clips on each end, and are indespensible when wiring guitars.

That said, it's been a while since I actually wired one of those switches, but it should be like this:

-neck
        -middle
        -bridge
        -Output
        -
        -
        -
        -

Start with just one pickup and solder it onto one prong, then wire the switch straight to the jack. Flip the switch and check for sound, then add another pickup to another prong. Run a screwdriver over the poles to make sure you don't have 2 pickups on at once.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And the output-wire goes to the volume pot, right?

Is there a possibility that my switch is screwed?

Comment

Output to knob, yes, but for now I'd wire it to the jack just to make sure the switch works.

As I said, it's been a while since I actually wired one, so just swap wires around until you get sound.

To make it even more simple, just hook a wire to the jack and tap each tab on the switch with it while the guitar is plugged in (no pickups on anything).

If you're getting sound, unplug the guitar and solder the wire to the switch, then start tapping pickup wires to the tabs until you get sound.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I tried to hotwire the switch from the jack, but I only get sound when I connect the wire from the input directly to the wire from the pu's..No sound when I put the wire from the input to tab number 4 or any of the others for that matter..Screwed switch then?

Comment

Working...
              X