Jackson newb - floyd rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson newb - floyd rose

Does anybody have tips on tuning a floyd and changing strings on my DK2M.

when you change strings, block the floyd so it doesnt pull all the way back into the rout. use a pencil wrapped in electrical tape, a stack of business cards, cardboard...anything pretty soft but sturdy. after you have that done, unlock the nut and take the clamps off, loosen the strings, take them out of the trem and tuning posts. i do this so i can wipe the board down and get all the dust from under the strings and off the headstock as well.

replace strings, put nut blocks back on (but dont tighten), tune it up a little (if the guitar is standard, tune it a step down or so). take the block out, and then tune it up to pitch (i go low E, high E, A, B, D, G) until its in tune. tug on the strings lightly (you dont need to really "stretch" them ive found) and retune. do this a few more times to make sure the strings are tight around the tuning posts. now lock the nut and check tuning and fine tune the guitar. them whammy all the way up and down a few good times. check the tuning again. if youve done stuff right it should still be in pretty good tune, although it might be slightly out. fine tune.

a few tips...DONT really torque on the screws to clamp the nut or the strings in the bridge. they just need to be decently snug. tighten them too much and youll strip a screw or worse the nut or saddle. a screw is easy to replace, the nut and saddle not as easy. so take care.
    also, check the tightness of the screws that hold the saddles in place for intonation. ive had them come loose and wreck havoc with my tuning. i check them when i change strings and havent had a problem since.
    and always fine tune the trem AFTER you dive it down in pitch. most trems arent perfect and wont return to pitch perfectly after either a dive or pull up, or both. so i just make sure i do a quick dive after any whammy using and if i fine tune it after a dive it will always come back to pitch after a dive. if i pull up, i make sure i go past neutral and do a slight dive to make sure im in tune.

also, check out www.ibanezrules.com. lots of good stuff on setting up an Ibanez Edge trem, but the tips basically go for any floyd-style trem!

good luck, and dont let the Floyd scare you. theyre fun and really simple if you take the time to learn about them!
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I've used the top of dental floss container. The one's that are shaped like a box. Before you start removing strings, just slip the top under the Floyd with the smooth side down. It rests on the guitar body. Change a few strings and move it out of the way so you can get to the other ones. It works great.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
      X