Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compound radius with Floyd... isn't it a little weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound radius with Floyd... isn't it a little weird?

A Floyd has a standard radius of 10'' right? Do Jacksons shim theirs to match the compound of radius (I think 12 to 16 on US and 14 to 16 on Japanese?), as well as the nuts? If not, isn't it taking away a big part of the usefulness of it? You still get the comfy curved radius down and flat for soloing upwards but no more straight string travel over the frets... Or for those who do have these guitars, does it make any difference at all? I just don't see the logic in there.

I don't know if they shim to match the 16 radius, but here's a pic of a saddle from an OFR, factory installed on my RR1:

Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
      I don't know if they shim to match the 16 radius, but here's a pic of a saddle from an OFR, factory installed on my RR1:

The Floyd on my Charvel Star's got little tape shims like that, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It depends on who is making the Floyd. I have seen several with 12" radii and some reason I swear I saw a 14" as well. I don't know what radius Jackson uses though.

Comment

IIRC, Schaller's is 14". But you can get whatever you want with shims - Ibanez does this on their edge trem for the JS models, which have rounder fretboards than most of their guitars.

Comment

Seems to me you could get by without shimming the saddles. If the fretboard radius was flatter at the end of the neck to match the saddles, and rounder at the nut to match the curve of the nut.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post

All of your saddles have such thing or only one? Where was it located in the trem plate, i guess somewhere in the middle?

Comment

Working...
              X