Seymour Duncan Mustaine LiveWires vs. EMG 81s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Mustaine LiveWires vs. EMG 81s

ok... so I've decided to save up for a Trans Red RR3 and it isn't very often that I leave pickups stock, so I was wondering about different active pickups.

How are the Seymour Duncan Mustaine LiveWires? Any good for Death Metal (figure that they have to be good for thrash, since its Megadeth)? How do they compare against EMG 81's (I'm thinking of also getting the EMG PA-2 or Afterburner to make it HOTT!)?

Well, before I do any of this, I need to get the guitar first...
    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
    Dimebag Darrell
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Cliff Burton

Do you care about tone? In that case, everything will beat the EMG-81. The Livewires would crush it, take its women and drive it before them.

Comment

Are they really that much better? I've always been a EMG fan... maybe I'll check out those SD's.

R.I.P.
      Dimebag Darrell
      Chuck Schuldiner
      Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Do you care about tone? In that case, everything will beat the EMG-81. The Livewires would crush it, take its women and drive it before them.

You know 81s will make even a First Act soudn good

Comment

This is my own opinion, but I would say go for the Mustaine or a Duncan DDJ Distortion combo with a JBJ JB. Best of both worlds.

Comment

wonder where joe is...... why don't you look into passives
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I like some passives, but sometimes, I find they can lack a little... I like some SD passives, EMG hz's are decent, and I really like Bill lawrences.

R.I.P.
              Dimebag Darrell
              Chuck Schuldiner
              Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                wonder where joe is...... why don't you look into passives
                I'm here. If I could, I'd probably put EMGs in everything! 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. Though, for passives, I'm more of a DiMarzio fan... X2N, Super 2, Super D, Tone Zone. I'd say the X2N is probably the passive equivalent of the EMG 81, just maybe not as bright.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
                  Are they really that much better? I've always been a EMG fan... maybe I'll check out those SD's.
                  Well, the thing is that I don't like the 81 at all. You will not find a dryer sound anywhere. The 85 sounds way juicier, especially in the bridge position. If you play with a mid-scooped sound and lot of gain, you're probably not going to notice much difference though.

As for the DM Livewires...I haven't tried them. My post was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment on the 81. If you like EMGs, I would strongly advice you to try an 85/85 set.

Comment

Working...
                  X