3 piece neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 piece neck question

When I've seen 3 pc necks I usually see they're 3 pieces of the same wood species. Like, all mahogany or all maple.

Is that for a particular reason? Or, could it be mahogany/maple/mahogany, for a specific effect?

They use the same woods mostly for appearance. But if you look closer the middle piece has the frain running the opposite direction. It's to help combat twisting and warping. A differant type of wood in there would kinda have the same effect. Thats part of the reason Ibanez switched to the walnut skunk stripes in the wizard necks. For strtength cus the old ones warped a lot.
    Gil

Comment

So the right combo will be maple/mahogany/maple ? Or otherwise? I mean, if the guitar's body is mahoany and it's top is 1/8th flamed maple, what will be the "right" way?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
        So the right combo will be maple/mahogany/maple ? Or otherwise? I mean, if the guitar's body is mahoany and it's top is 1/8th flamed maple, what will be the "right" way?
        I don't think there is a "correct" way. Probably a personal preference, if you want a multiwood neck. I haven't seen a maple/mah/maple. usually it's more maple/walnut/maple or even 5 piece necks.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Hamer's necks are three-piece, and they're all mahogany. Like Gil said, the middle piece is going in a different direction from the outside pieces to help with stability.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Typicaly if there are two differnt woods used in a neck. The second wood is a skunk stripe from a truss rod installation. Or just for show depending on the construction of the neck. But there have been as much as upto 7 piece necks with alternating layers. IE BC Rich has 5 piece necks. I think Warrior has some 7 piece necks. The main parts of the neck would be something like maple then they would put walnut or purple heart or wenge strips in between the mapole for charactor and stability.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              IE BC Rich has 5 piece necks.
              Ok...exactly what BCR are you talking about here? Most vintage-era hand-mades are one piece.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I think Alembic is *THE* company for multi lam necks.... They say it's for stability, looks, and tone.

It can be done simply to resist warpage using the same type of wood, or it can be done to make your jaw drop looking at it as well. It seems to be a commonly accepted idea that multi pieces of the same wood are at the very least more stabile, and mutli layer of different woods can benefit from a more ridgid wood adding strength, along with stability, and as an extra bonus, they look cool. All without the excess neck dive using a solid piece of ridgid and heavy wood.

Skunk stripes are fender and fender clone thing.

Comment

i think its not only for stability tone and warpage.
                  i think its also a cost factor ( that means for older ESP made Necks, Kramer used that also).
                  Its easier to find smaller pieces of straight grown wood than that big log for a one piece neck.
                  But i must admit that 5 (or more) piece necks have their own charm. In tone and appearance.

Comment

The BCR's im reffering too. Are the neck through ones with the three pieces of maple and the walnut strips in between the maple pieces. IE Warlock, Mockingbird, Bich.

Comment

This is good to know. I always thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Perhaps this is why my old Ibanez S470's neck warped.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                        The BCR's im reffering too. Are the neck through ones with the three pieces of maple and the walnut strips in between the maple pieces. IE Warlock, Mockingbird, Bich.
                        You'll also notice that those pieces are in the BODY and not the neck.
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                        X