EMG 81 vs. Seymour Duncan JB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81 vs. Seymour Duncan JB ?

Okay, this is not a real "VS" topic, after all they're very different pups and a comparison in THAT way won't be objective.

BUT, what I'd be curious to know, is, what are the main tonal differences between these two...

Like, what would you expect from one and another, how they sound compared to each other, and finally, what are the pros and cons of each. Thanks guys...

Hmmm. Both suck IMO, but the JB sucks less in the neck than in the bridge. The 81 sucks even while sitting in a box, so I guess I'd hafta go with the BJ
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like the JB especaily the older ones. Much darker and still articulate with good harmonics and good gain. The EMG's never thrilled me. I dont mind active cus i have some reflex pups but they sound better than EMG's. The 81 is supposed to be less bassie then the 85 and half a bit more midrgnge sweetness to it. But its a alnico magnet so that probably why. I guess passvily for a duncan it would be similar to a JB but EMG's are eq'd rather flat in response so its not even a fair comparison.
      Gil

Comment

The JB sucks as a bridge pickup. An EMG is much better, IMO.

The JB has more midrange, is a bit muddier, and not as good for artificial harmonics compared to an EMG. The EMG 81 is more mid-scooped, a bit more sterile sounding (which means your Amp and EQ are going to be useful to get the sound you desire). The EMG 81 has better distortion. The JB can get 80's metal tones pretty easily, but I'd rather have something that is tighter and less booming. The JB does not get the metal crunch that the 81 will easily deliver.

At least from my experiences...

I do much prefer the EMG 85 for the bridge. It's darker and distorts better. Much more alive sounding and it gives a bit of an 'evil growl' that the 81 lacks.

EMG 81 is the perfect pickup if you are going to push it through a rack system or plan having effects in the signal chain. The EMG 85 is best in 18v configuration plugged directly into an amp.

The EMG 81 is much better suited in the neck. It can get really sparkly clean with the volume rolled back a little, and can get soft and loose when you roll the volume and tone down. However, I never really use a neck pickup anyways. I'm not that versatile and my style of music doesn't require it. lol
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I currently love my EMG 81, I was just thinking about the JB because a lot of people keep they're USA Selects "stock" (KV-2, SL-2, KE-2, etc). And I was wondering if there was a particular reason for this, like, the JB is a great pickup or something.

Comment

JBs suck! EMGs do not. In my old Hamer that came with the JB/'59 combo... I couldn't stand it. I do love the '59 in just about any guitar, but the JB had too much treble and high mids, practically no bass. Well, I put a 25th anniversary chrome EMG 81 set in... much more low end, and more balanced frequency response. Though, the 81 can be a tad bright and I usually prefer the 85 in the bridge, but if only given the choice of a JB or 81, I'd go 81 all the way.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, well I USE JBs, in the bridge position, no less, and love them. I actually find EMGs to be rather lifeless. In fact, I plan on changing my remaining guitars over to JBs, in the bridge, in the future, so all you guys who HATE them, well, just mail them to me now!
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Quik fix for the JB, is to swap the Alnico V magnet with a ceramic! DONE! If it's a normal ceramic then it's like a Duncan Distortion lite. Change it with the thicker ceramic from a DD, then it becomes an actual Duncan Distortion!

Comment

Quicker fix: swap it for a Custom, then sell it to Racerx2k.

Comment

They are both fine pickups. The EMG is hotter but the JB has more character.

There are alot of better choices than the JB for the bridge.

Super 3
                    Steves Special
                    Evolution

Comment

I took the JB out of my Jackson DK-1 and replaced it with the Duncan distortion (one of my favorite pickups) I found the JB to be rather darker and to have this sort of (single coil mixed with humbucker sound)? I also replace the EMG 81s out of my BC Rich USA assassin and Hamer USA centaura and put in the duncan distortion. I guess I just love the duncan distortion in the bridge position. Nice and chunky and harmonics galore. Yet still retains that organic, passive pickup tone.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                        I took the JB out of my Jackson DK-1 and replaced it with the Duncan distortion (one of my favorite pickups) I found the JB to be rather darker and to have this sort of (single coil mixed with humbucker sound)? I also replace the EMG 81s out of my BC Rich USA assassin and Hamer USA centaura and put in the duncan distortion. I guess I just love the duncan distortion in the bridge position. Nice and chunky and harmonics galore. Yet still retains that organic, passive pickup tone.
                        Lynch would be proud of you lynchfan6

Comment

Totally different pickups, I have both, an 81 in a Jackson strat and a JB in a Charvel strat. JB is more responsive to your playing technique, guitar woods and amp, but I like the EMG when I'm playing live. Personally, I'm now a big fan of the Custom 5.
                          Last edited by P.O. Box 245; 01-08-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

+1 for JB hating, I've always found them to be fairly "meh" and not all their hyped up to be...

Comment

i like the jb. really picks up the harmonics. the 81 sounds monotonic in my opinion.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                              http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

Working...
                              X