Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler trouble, PUHLEASE help!!

OK

Since I bought this guitar off ebay, I thought I had a kahler problem fixed. The problem has reared it's ugly head once more.

For a while, I simply put this guitar away because I couldn't stand playing it, it never stayed in tune(mostly on the g string). I have spoken to many of the Euro+Finnish guys(they love kahlers). I've oiled the rollers, bent the strings with the angle they suggest, soldered the end(I think you know where I'm going) and lastly replaced the stringlock.

The friggin' g string is STILL slipping even when locked on a brand new stringlock. The others don't stay in perfect tune, but the g especially keeps going crazy. When it's locked, and you push on the string behind the lock, it will go sharp or flat, however you push it. The others are ROCK STEADY. I believe it is the original graphite nut which I cleaned and used vaseline on.

Again, this guitar is a microsecond from being sold.

I've had a few VERY good techs look at it...and again have taken all the "did you try this" methods with no success.

The bridge was recently off the guitar, soaked in oil(3 in one household oil) and I replaced two rollers(saddles) from another parts kahler(flamed guitars original kahler).

Any ideas? My patience has run out with this guitar.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

The problem lies with the nut lock without a doubt. Ive got two Kahler guitars (model 5 and 6), and play the hell out of them. I solder the string ends and prebend them, and they rarely pop out of tune at all.

It seems like the lock isnt grabbing on the g string because of the d string being thicker. Try putting a very thin piece of metal between the g string and the lock, maybe that will get even pressure on it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I will give that a try. this is a brand new chrome stringlock from wammi.

Thanks!! trying to keep my sanity on this one. It's been tough!!!

Comment

Just an update:

I sat down, remained calm and stretched the strings over and over until they would NOT go out of tune(regardless of the bar). It's never stayed in tune this well before.

Probably a combination of bending the ball ends, dive bombing and pulling up etc has it very well situated.

I didn't mess with trying the bar. Simply wanted to keep it in tune better as it never really stayed in that well.

So I am satisfied for now.

Thought I'd let you know.

Comment

Good deal man! Glad it somewhat worked out for you. Just an FYI, Kahler does sell new genuine replacement behind-the-nut locks now incase you wanted a new genuine Kahler one. Actually, now that I think about it, do you want to sell your old Kahler lock? I could use another one!
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Rob

I bought two new chrome one's from wammi. One of them is on the blue guitar(with it locked, it still goes a little bonkers, again, mostly the g string).

The original black one to this guitar has a few grooves in it. Perhaps you can sand those out?

here is a pic of it:

I have a "shelf mod" floyd toplock going on Alvin Wilsons old red guitar. I think once I get that back, I'll switch necks and see how the kahler acts with a floyd nut(always liked those! much more stable) If it's ok with that, the stringlock is going bye bye, and I'll have a floyd nut installed.
            Last edited by JZ06; 01-05-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Kahler locks are fine, so long as you ensure there's no grooves in the lock plates.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

mine is brand new on the blue one and is going batty(when using the trem) could the springs be bad on the unit? wammi mentioned they do go bad.

i can't think of anything else.

Comment

Are you stretching the strings out enough. Lost track how many times I heard people gripe about their guitars not staying in tune, only to find out they either didn't stretch out the string, or didn't stretch them enough.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Are you stretching the strings out enough. Lost track how many times I heard people gripe about their guitars not staying in tune, only to find out they either didn't stretch out the string, or didn't stretch them enough.
                    I just spent an evening of frustration with a KE3 (JT-580LP trem but that's not important here) not staying in tune. The strings were two days old and I figured they had been stretched out but an additional 10 minute session of really stretching them finally did the job. I use .011-.049 Elixir strings.

I've learned my lesson and in the future, the first thing I'll do to a new set of strings is stretch the living daylights out of them.

Comment

Well, I stretched them enough to where I can get as nutty as I want with bends on ANY string to not knock them out.

The other matter is using the trem. That's a whole 'nother story. Perhaps I can try stretching them more...maybe that will help.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Comment

Your problem is the Kahler trem. Kahlers are messenger of Satan. Start a large bonfire, soak the guitar in holy water(naftalin) then set it ablaze! It shall light the evening skies, much like a lightbulb made for the american market inserted in an european socket!

Applications for joining my cult can be sent to Thoraby "at" gmail "dot" com
                        Thank you for your business.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                          I just spent an evening of frustration with a KE3 (JT-580LP trem but that's not important here) not staying in tune. The strings were two days old and I figured they had been stretched out but an additional 10 minute session of really stretching them finally did the job. I use .011-.049 Elixir strings.

I've learned my lesson and in the future, the first thing I'll do to a new set of strings is stretch the living daylights out of them.
                          i dont think stretching the strings was the case on the 580. i dont stretch my strings, and mine stay in perfect tune. i get them tight around the tuning post while winding the string, then wiggle the strings gently (like doing some wide vibrato) and then retune and do that over and over until they dont go out of tune, then i lock the nut. actually stretching the strings can be bad because you can make the string thinner at some points than it should be, causing you intonation problems, and even more tuning problems are possible.
                          id say if youre having trouble with your 580 or 580LP, check the screws that hold the saddles in place for intonation. when my 580 went batty i was about to put it away for a while until i checked them, and one of them was pretty loose and allowing the saddle to move a little every time i did a bend or used the trem. however, if the saddle would have gotten jammed against the screw, even with it still loose, it would have kept it from going flat, but the intonation would have been WAY off then.
                          just a heads up. IMO actually "stretching" the strings isnt necessary, from my own experience. look at Steinbergers or Floyd Speedloaders. the strings CANT stretch otherwise the whole unit will be out of whack. same principle. im not saying strings wont stretch a little over time (metal does that...and will come back to its original form for a limited time...until fatigue sets in!) thats why you have fine tuners. ive never had any problems from my methods though.
                          My metal band Lucian Scott
                          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                          Available Now!
                          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

People who don't stretch their strings, people who hate Kahlers...damn...what is the world coming to? MADNESS! :ROTF:
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                            X