Any1 try a Duncan Custom in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any1 try a Duncan Custom in the neck?

Just curious how the Custom would sound in the neck position.
    Anybody try this?

It sounds good in the bridge spot but I'm not crazy about the Jazz I have in the neck position currently. The Jazz is great for clean tones but I'm finding I want something hotter for distorted lead tones where I often like to use the neck pickup.

So my idea was throw a Distortion in the bridge and move the Custom to the neck. Just unsure if I will be sacrificing clean tone for a better distorted tone, or if the Custom will still perform ok for cleans.

Have you thought of a Distortion neck model? Even a stock JB plays nice in the neck and has enough power to keep up with something like a DD.

The JB is a DD with an Alnico V magnet. The DD neck is an underwound DD but still has a ceramic magnet.

JB and DDn both sound good in the neck. I'd go with either than the custom but I have never tried a custom in the neck.

Comment

I love the Custom in the neck. When I routed my HRF DK2 for H-S-H, I put a Custom in the neck and it was really great.

My new WR7 has a Custom in the neck as well, but somehow I remember the cleans being a bit brighter in the DK2 :scratch:

The Custom7's clean tone is a bit like the Jazz but doesn't have the highs I like
      I may have to tap it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
        Have you thought of a Distortion neck model? Even a stock JB plays nice in the neck and has enough power to keep up with something like a DD.

The JB is a DD with an Alnico V magnet. The DD neck is an underwound DD but still has a ceramic magnet.

JB and DDn both sound good in the neck. I'd go with either than the custom but I have never tried a custom in the neck.
        I have the DDn in my 750XL, along with a DDb. With the super 5 way (stew-mac 'E' switch) and a push/pull tone for phase reverse, I can get all sorts of tones, all good.

Comment

Working...
        X