New Pick-Ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pick-Ups?

I want to change the pick-ups in two of my guitars... my RR3 and DK2 (both currently feature dual Duncan Design humbuckers).
    The sound I'm aiming for is the whole 80's 'Hair Metal' sound but I don't know a great deal about the many different pick-ups out there so any help on which would get me closest to that sound would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

K.D!
    sigpic
    And on the 8th day,
    God kicked back with a beer,
    And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

I'd say Dimarzio X2N or EMG 81. I'm not that reliable when it comes to pickup know-it-all, but I like the sounds those things give out
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

I've become a fan of the Dimarzio Super 3 lately having installed it in 4 guitars recently. They come stock in the PC1 in the bridge position. The SH1 Duncan Jazz sounds great in my RR1's in the neck position.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I've found a Seymour-Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz at the neck nails the 80's hair metal sound pretty well.

Comment

I really don't think EMGs or an X2N would be ideal if you're looking to do "hair metal". They are high output pickups.

I'd say even a Duncan Distortion may be too aggressive, but at least it has a ton of mids.

The one pickup I have tried that definitely does the hair metal thing to a T, is the Jackson J80C in my Model 6. It sounds rather close to the Duncan Distortion, but is lower output (I'd say medium-high), and brings out crazy harmonics all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            I really don't think EMGs or an X2N would be ideal if you're looking to do "hair metal". They are high output pickups.

I'd say even a Duncan Distortion may be too aggressive, but at least it has a ton of mids.

The one pickup I have tried that definitely does the hair metal thing to a T, is the Jackson J80C in my Model 6. It sounds rather close to the Duncan Distortion, but is lower output (I'd say medium-high), and brings out crazy harmonics all over.
            I stand corrected, but I've been meaning to ask forever... where can you find Jackson pickups other than on eBay/Jackson axes?
            DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post

That being said, a USA Jackson J-90C may work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                That being said, a USA Jackson J-90C may work as well.
                +1 Got one in an RR1 and a Charvel Fusion Deluxe.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                  I've found a Seymour-Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz at the neck nails the 80's hair metal sound pretty well.
                  +1, first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X