Tutorial about leveling frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial about leveling frets?

The fretwire on my guitar has some wear especially between the 5th-9th frets.I'm thinking of let a luthier do the job but I might be able to do it myself.So,anyone has a link of some good tutorial?
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Unless the guitar is a junker, it's probably not a good idea to do a fret job if you're inexperienced. But if you absolutely want to try, start here. http://www.frettech.com/frets/index.html
    Last edited by Kii; 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Well,I've got a junk guitar that I'll do experiments on,first.

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kii View Post
          Unless the guitar is a junker, it's probably not a good idea to do a fret job if you're inexperienced. But if you absolutely want to try, start here. http://www.frettech.com/frets/index.html
          Wow, I'm a DIY kinda guy but after reading that I don't think I'll ever have any inclination to refret a neck. LOL
          |My CSG gallery|
          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

For the amount of tools required and how expensive they are, you are better off getting it done at a shop. Unless you plan on building or fixing guitars on the side, or you wear frets quick enough, the tools alone cost too much to make it worth while.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
              For the amount of tools required and how expensive they are, you are better off getting it done at a shop. Unless you plan on building or fixing guitars on the side, or you wear frets quick enough, the tools alone cost too much to make it worth while.
              Actually, the absolutely necessary extra tools to do a pro refret aren´t that expensive: a ground down key file, a bastard file milled in 2, a carpenters 90° dual straightedge, and ground down "clipper" pliers. The rest are "Standards" like sandpaper, masking tape, superglue, steel wool, a clamp and 2 pieces of wood lined with foam as cauls.

But if you can do a proper refret consistently with only those tools, then you´re almost certainly professionally trained anyway and wouldn´t be asking for advice but giving it

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post

Well,I have plans of building guitars.I think I'll level the frets on my crappy guitar and see if it works.Than I'll change the frets and see If I can do it,too.

Comment

Working...
                X