Question about pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pickups...

What is the difference between F spaced and regular pickups? And when would I use what type? I am looking to replace the pups on my Charvel Model 3.
    Cory

F spaced pickups are pickups where the pole pieces are spread out to line up with the strings on a guitar with a Floyd Rose. Regular has the pole pieces closer in for a guitar without a Floyd. You'd use F spaced only if you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose and without a slanted Humbucker. You're gonna want to go with an F Spaced pup for your Charvel.
    Hope that helped
    Chris
    My Guitars
    Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
    Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
    Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
    Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
    Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
    Kramer Vanguard S-440S
    Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
    Kramer F-1000 (Black)
    Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

F-spacing is for "F"ender spacing or "F"loyd spacing, which is different than the string spacing on a fixed bridge like a Les Paul. It really doesn't make much difference whether you get F-spaced pickups of not... the magnets are pretty powerful that even if the strings don't exactly line up with the strings, it's not a big deal.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What he said, 'F' for any trem.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

As I've understood it, "F-spacing" stood for "Fender spacing"(?), although DiMarzio obviously couldn't use the name "Fender" on their products. I remember reading it in GW sometime in the early 90's. Didn't the Floyds inherit the Fender string spacing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            As I've understood it, "F-spacing" stood for "Fender spacing"(?), although DiMarzio obviously couldn't use the name "Fender" on their products. I remember reading it in GW sometime in the early 90's. Didn't the Floyds inherit the Fender string spacing?
            Yeah, I believe that's correct.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Worth mentioning is also that i think you should still use a regular spaced pickup in the neck position, even if you have a trem, correct me someone if i´m wrong?
              But i agree with toejam, i have used the "wrong" spaced pickups many times and it didn´t matter at all to my ears.
              Last edited by rocksoldier; 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                Worth mentioning is also hat i think you should still use a regular spaced pickup in the neck position, even if you have a trem, correct me someone if i´m wrong?
                But i agree with toejam, i have used the "wrong" spaced pickups many times and it didn´t matter at all to my ears.

You are correct, there is no "F" spaced neck pickup. The string spacing at the neck position is just about the same for "F" or regular style bridges.

For me too, there wasn't that much of a difference in sound when using a regular spaced p/u with a trem. I usually just changed them to "F" spaced because I am anal and I wanted it to look right!

Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

Alright..thanks everyone. That helps alot!
                  Cory

Comment

My understanding is that the string should be over the center of the pole. It has to do with the magnet field. It's supposed to do like a figure 8. If the string's vibes are off to one side, it fucks with the waves, man.:ROTF: :ROTF:
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                    X