how do i install/ remove ferrules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i install/ remove ferrules

well the title is self explainitory.... but please help i want to replace the tops ferrules and the back ones anyone?
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

I use and old nail that is larger than the hole in the bottom ferruls and tap them out,then flip the guitar over flip the nail over to the head end and tap out the top ferruls.If they seem hard to get out heat the ferrule with a soldering iron just a little and it should push right out.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The one time I had to replace some I used a pocket screwdriver to tap them out.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Just get the biggest flat blade screwdriver you can find and go to town

if that doesnt work try a blowtorch & pliers
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Just get the biggest flat blade screwdriver you can find and go to town

if that doesnt work try a blowtorch & pliers
          I dunno - that sounds more like relicing techniques to me.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            I use and old nail that is larger than the hole in the bottom ferruls and tap them out,then flip the guitar over flip the nail over to the head end and tap out the top ferruls.If they seem hard to get out heat the ferrule with a soldering iron just a little and it should push right out.

i know that was striaght forwords and all but can some one clear that up for my
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

DUDE I GOT YOU

i had to do it on my LP.
              you keep the screw in or get a screw the same size.
              grab a hammer
              put a towel down under the hammer head and use the claw to pry it out
              pull slowly or you risk the wood splintering
              good luck
              DRAYDEN RULES
              www.myspace.com/draydenmetal

Comment

I had to remove the ferrels from my cheap LP Special to put new Grovers in. I finally found that one of the bits that come with those screwdrivers that have that little wheel of bits worked real well. I won't even go into what a pain in the ass it was to drill out the holes to 25/64ths. I had to do it it two stages. And the bit kept biting the wood. Finally got it done. And, I like it.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I'll usually grab like a 15 watt soldering iron and heat the ferrul, find a nail that fits through one side, but not the others and push out the heated ferrull. That heat will soften the finish so you don't chip it and lets it slip through the wood easily. Once they're all removed, hold the ferrul with thin needle nose pliers in place and push in with the soldering iron. If it goes little hard, heat it and then use a screw driver to push it in.

Comment

Working...
                  X