tapping problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping problem

I found tapping easier on my friend's Schecter C1-Elite than my SL-1.
    By tapping, I mean the initial tap by the right hand, it's never loud enough on my guitar. However, on IDENTICAL amp and settings, I found that the tap was much louder and easily produced on the Schecter. I am using the bridge humbucker, and the Schecter has 2 humbuckers (this can't be the sole reason, can it?)

Technique is irrelavent. All that matters is that it's harder to tap on my guitar.

Anybody know why?

Thanks

i would recommend going to a decent guitar luither and get him to do a proper setup. The action may be causing this. Also i find lighter string guage means less force required and a louder tapped note, maybey your friends guitar has lighter strings than yours.

Comment

Pickup height could be a factor too. If the pups on yours are too far away from the strings they wont pick up little nuances as well. but too close and it'll kill your sustain and sound muddy. So i usualy set mine about 1/8th in away from the strings for a start then lower the pup to find the sweet spot.
      Gil

Comment

One other possibility might be pickup height. Your bridge pickup may be set lower than your friend's. I usually set my Duncans at about 3/32" at the bridge, +/- depending on output. Is there a difference between the two guitars when you tap unplugged? That will at least help narrow it down between a structural or setup issue vs. electronics.

*edit- Gil beat me to it.
        Last edited by dg; 01-03-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Is pickup height adjustment easy, like regular tuning? Or is it more like a set-up, and should be taken to a professional?

Comment

Originally posted by edma2 View Post
            Is pickup height adjustment easy, like regular tuning? Or is it more like a set-up, and should be taken to a professional?
            There are 2 screws on either side of the pickup that you very easily screw tighter or looser to move your pickup higher or lower. Try it out a bit to get the hang of which direction tightens/loosens, then just start trying out diff. positions.
            DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

OK thanks. Will do now.

Comment

Very easy. Just tighten down on the 2 screws to raise it, loosen them to lower it. Generally speaking, I end up with most of them a little closer on the treble side. Once you have it where you want it, then you can adjust the individual pole pieces as needed. Those you loosen to raise, tighten to lower. I don't usually mess with them much, especially with high-output pickups, but sometimes I'll raise the G &/or D pole piece.

Comment

Only my humbucker has a mounting plate with adjustment screws. My two single coils are directly mounted onto the body, but I don't plan on adjusting those anyway.
                  Last edited by edma2; 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edma2 View Post
                    Only my humbucker has a mounting plate with adjustment screws. My two single coils are directly mounted onto the body, but I don't plan on adjusting those anyway.
                    Umm, what exactly do you mean by that question?

Edit: You edited out the question i see, nevermind.
                    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Eh, sorry. I didn't see the screws for the single coils that were inside the cavity.

Now is it ok to adjust the heights while it's on and plugged into the amp?

Comment

The singles will usually have something like foam rubber underneath. If you loosen the mounting screws, the expanding foam rubber raises the pickup. Tighten down on the screws to lower it.

It's fine to adjust while plugged in, but you'll probably want to turn it down while you adjust.
                        Last edited by dg; 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Alright, thanks guys, I hope this will help.

I was just worried about having it plugged into the amp after reading ****Always remember to unplug your guitar from your amplifier before making any adjustment to guitar electronics****(from a website) immediately after I adjusted my humbucker height.

Comment

I don't think it matters at all if your plugged in or not. Your not really doing anything to the electronics of your guitar here.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
                              I don't think it matters at all if your plugged in or not. Your not really doing anything to the electronics of your guitar here.
                              Yeah, but t's going to be pretty hard to find the sweet spot with it unplugged!
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X