Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would cause an OFR to go WAAAY out of tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would cause an OFR to go WAAAY out of tune?

I'm having a problem with one of my guitars. It's got an original Floyd, non-recessed. It stays in tune all day when I'm just playing. But if I actually try to use the trem at all, the strings all go way out of tune. I'm talking almost a whole note on some strings.

It looks like its installed straight (the strings are centered up the neck) and its flush against the body (dive only setup). I'm not sure how old the strings are, but could old strings be responsible for this? If it were the strings, wouldn't they go out of tune from regular playing and not just diving?

A trem not returning to zero is very common. Worn knife edges could be the problem. Or worn stud screws. Have you checked the tremolo block to see if it's mounted correctly?

If you have it hard against the body, I'd start looking at slippage at the nut.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jack71 View Post
      I'm having a problem with one of my guitars. It's got an original Floyd, non-recessed. It stays in tune all day when I'm just playing. But if I actually try to use the trem at all, the strings all go way out of tune. I'm talking almost a whole note on some strings.

It looks like its installed straight (the strings are centered up the neck) and its flush against the body (dive only setup). I'm not sure how old the strings are, but could old strings be responsible for this? If it were the strings, wouldn't they go out of tune from regular playing and not just diving?
      also is it double locking or not. does the neck have the locking nuts , sounds funny but i have seen some guitars with floyds with out locking nut on the guitar ,if not thats the reason.. also if they are new strings they need to be stretched real good...

Comment

If it's not double locking does it have locking tuners such as Sperzels?
        Last edited by AdRock; 01-02-2007, 04:39 PM.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Is the block hanging up (I have seen that once - if it is a 42mm and it is on a guitar that was routed for a smaller block, the springs can hang up on the body or the cover)

Comment

I would check so the locking nut locks properly to begin with.
            If you press down on the strings behind the lock nut, does the pitch change? If it does, there's your problem right there.

Comment

also check the screws that hold down the saddles for intonation. i had a similar problem on my DX10 where i would use the trem and it would go all out of whack because of a couple loose screws and the saddles would slip.

i know, mines recessed, but its still something to check! i now check those on my Floyds whenever i change strings to make sure that they wont slip and cause me problems!
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Just go here.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                  A trem not returning to zero is very common. Worn knife edges could be the problem. Or worn stud screws. Have you checked the tremolo block to see if it's mounted correctly?

If you have it hard against the body, I'd start looking at slippage at the nut.
                  +1 on checking out the nut first
                  My Guitars
                  Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
                  Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
                  Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
                  Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
                  Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
                  Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
                  Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                  Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
                  Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
                  Kramer F-1000 (Black)
                  Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Working...
                  X