Hey Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Bill

I picked up a used G&L Tribute L2000 bass the other day from work that we had, first show with it is on friday...have you gotten one yet?

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
    I picked up a used G&L Tribute L2000 bass the other day from work that we had, first show with it is on friday...have you gotten one yet?
    No dude..I just bought a cheap bass for the boy for Christmas but I spank the hell out of it..now so does he..

So, how do you like it..does it completely fuggin' OWN??!!

I always ran mine with the preamp ON..with the bridge pup for groovin' with my band or both pups for slappin' tappin'.. don't worry about the 9volt battery..they last forever in that thing..I always checked mine aboutt twice a month ..on my tongue and it always had pleanty of juice..

I changed them when they didn't zing my tongue that much..

I got crazy once during a solo, when drunk..and chipped my front tooth on the bastid..John has the video of that..:ROTF:
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

maybe I'll pick one up..I dunno...I want to get into bass playing seriously...my friend just ordered G&L L-2500.

I love those G&L basses AND guitars.
      G&L combined all the best components into one instrument.

Actually G&L L-2000 roots are pretty old. Leo Fender himself made the first Musicman Stingray bass. He made it for the legendary bass monster Louis Johnson....one of the greatest slappers ever...he needed a lot of punch. So Louis had the first Musicman Stringray with the powerfull humbucking type pickup wich later became the Magnetic Field.
      Ernie Ball company started making those basses.
      But Leo Fender started the G&L company. They combined all the best components of Fender J and P basses, original Musicman and EB Stingrays and the L-2000 was born. 2 pickups, active-passive controlls etc. One of the most versatile instruments I've ever seen.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I like it, I need a rig of my own to play it thru but its doing what I want...honestly I'm not sure what the switches do yet but I'm pretty sure I'm running it in active mode(no treble boost) with both pickups on...I dunno if its in series or parallel with the other switch though. The neck is comfortable and the sustain is great though so I am happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          maybe I'll pick one up..I dunno...I want to get into bass playing seriously...my friend just ordered G&L L-2500.

I love those G&L basses AND guitars.
          G&L combined all the best components into one instrument.

Actually G&L L-2000 roots are pretty old. Leo Fender himself made the first Musicman Stingray bass. He made it for the legendary bass monster Louis Johnson....one of the greatest slappers ever...he needed a lot of punch. So Louis had the first Musicman Stringray with the powerfull humbucking type pickup wich later became the Magnetic Field.
          Ernie Ball company started making those basses.
          But Leo Fender started the G&L company. They combined all the best components of Fender J and P basses, original Musicman and EB Stingrays and the L-2000 was born. 2 pickups, active-passive controlls etc. One of the most versatile instruments I've ever seen.
          You know the G&L..yepper..that's the one!!

I had three..my favorite bass of all time..and I had MANY high end basses..

Box, it's a pretty simple layout really..you get used to it fast..they only bass I found amazing right into the board...the preamp is just a boost..gives it alot more "punch"..loudest, punchiest bass I've ever heard or played..that's why I love them so much

a litlle on the heavy side because of the swamp ash..but that just part of that tone of that baby!!

I owned them ever since they came out..in the early 80's..I put in thousand of hours on that thing..so it was like a third arm..

My second favorite Bass was my Ken Smith..but the G & L was louder, and that clean ballsy punch like no other..

You keep that thing mint..if you don't like it..give me a heads up..money is lil' tight at the moment..wife lost her job of 20 years..but I gotta get one anywhoo..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sucks about the wife losing the job...I'll let you know if I wanna sell it, but I see myself hanging onto it for a while unless I come into some money and can afford a "real" L2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
              Sucks about the wife losing the job...I'll let you know if I wanna sell it, but I see myself hanging onto it for a while unless I come into some money and can afford a "real" L2000.
              OK bro..have fun..you'll prolly hang onto that one...

Comment

hey willie, you still working at GC on 74? i lwas living with my girl for a while in mint hill pretty close to there and went in the store a few times but forgot about you working there
                The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Yeah I still work there unfortunately...Im getting real tired of that job. Stop by sometime, Mint Hill isnt a bad place really, Ive got a lot of friends that live in that area.

The bass sounded pretty good at the show and even better today when I got to play it thru a good rig (Ampeg SVT6Pro and one of those big ported 4x10 cabs with the big cabinet and metal grille covers)...nice and punchy with a good low end, balanced mids and highs. I'm still trying to figure out where I like the switches but it sounds pretty good however it is set right now. A definite recommendation!

Comment

There should only be two switches, if I remeber right..one is just a two way..off/on switch for the preamp, make sure there's a fresh nine volt in the small body cavity for that..

The pup selector be it a 3 way or 5 way ..works just any two pup geetar..all the way back being bridge only, middle both , forward neck..

..and the volume and two tone knobbers..

Hope that helps, that's from more than 10 years of memory, and I'm baked...oh what color is it??

Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                    X