EVH pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH pickup

I've found much discussion on pups on signiture models, but does anyone know what pickup Eddie put in his original Frankenstrat.
    Also what readilly available pups(maybe in the dimarzio line) do you people think give a reasonable Eddie type sound.
    Cheers

His original Frankenstrat pickup was a combination the coilss from a vintage PAF and a Seymour Duncan Custom 5. Your best bet for an Eddie-like soudn would probably be either a Seymour Duncan JB or a Gibson Burst Bucker Pro. I know the JB coems close, and I imagine the Gibson pup would too

Comment

The Original pup was from a Gibson ES, he removed it, and put a few more winds on himself.

You can order a pup from Seymour Duncan, they do a Custom Shop EVH Pick-up.

Apparently the most true sounding EVH pup is Genesis Pickups Mr.Browney, be sure to check that one out.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Yeah the 68 es335 pups witha few more windings on it. The the Kramer days was the custom custom. which was the production odel of the EVH. (evenly Voiced HArmonics) pup which is probablly whats in the EVH artist series charvels.

Comment

EVH model is called the 78 now which is what was stocked in the 25ths .. (Great pu I have 3, 1 was wound specially for me)

The EVH pickups were supposed to be wound to Ed's specs by FMIC but I'm not sure they may have defaulted to the 78...
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Kev, IMHO the Duncan '78 and the FMIC PUs in the EVHs are quite different animals. The Duncan's cool, but I prefer the EVH.

Comment

the pickup in the EVH is kickass - fender did a great job with that
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                  (evenly Voiced HArmonics) pup which is probablly whats in the EVH artist series charvels.

It's not a Duncan or Dimarzio, the pup in the Art Series is an custom wound (to EVH specs) from/by Fender...........
                  "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

I posted this in another thread a while back but it has to do with John Suhr doing some work for EVH and he had a chance to check out the Frankie. It sounds like the ES335 wound hotter but also broken.

"I have no clue what he was doing there, but Suhr told me (this was around 2003) he was doing work for Eddie and he checked out Eddies Frankenstein guitar. He said he could make me a pick-up that was almost identical to his "frankie" p/u. Suhr said the pick-up was actually broken all of these years and one of the coils was almost dead. So EVH's humbucker was inbetween a single coil and a humbucker. Real low output..."

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
                      It's not a Duncan or Dimarzio, the pup in the Art Series is an custom wound (to EVH specs) from/by Fender...........

Hmm ..thought that was what I said ..thanks for clearing that up
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
                        I posted this in another thread a while back but it has to do with John Suhr doing some work for EVH and he had a chance to check out the Frankie. It sounds like the ES335 wound hotter but also broken.

"I have no clue what he was doing there, but Suhr told me (this was around 2003) he was doing work for Eddie and he checked out Eddies Frankenstein guitar. He said he could make me a pick-up that was almost identical to his "frankie" p/u. Suhr said the pick-up was actually broken all of these years and one of the coils was almost dead. So EVH's humbucker was inbetween a single coil and a humbucker. Real low output..."
                        That is so usefull. Thanks, and thanks to everyone for the help.
                        And keep it coming.
                        I do actually have a PAF. Trouble is the PAF's charm was that they all sounded diferent(hand wound) which is a curse if trying to replacate.
                        Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                          Hmm ..thought that was what I said ..thanks for clearing that up

Sorry, didn't know what pup you were talking about. The duncan Evenly-Voiced-Harmonics pup or the EVH pup thats in the Charvel art Series. (two different pups)
                          "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

I got a Kramer 5150 replica back in November that has a Custom Custom in it. Definitely check it out, I can get a great EVH sound from it and it has great note definition - not muddy at all! I always use the "Poundcake" chords as a test, since you're hitting open strings too, and it passes with flying colors. I had two Wolfie Specials that I always thought had great pups until I played them after the 5150. I couldn't believe how muddy they sounded compared to the Custom Custom.
                            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                              Yeah the 68 es335 pups witha few more windings on it. The the Kramer days was the custom custom. which was the production odel of the EVH. (evenly Voiced HArmonics) pup which is probablly whats in the EVH artist series charvels.

It was a 1961 P.A.F he pulled from a destroyed ES 335
                              he then took it to seymour duncan and had it rewound for a bit more output and mids
                              this is now avaliable as the duncan custom shop EVH or 78
                              http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...medium=Bizrate

as time went by the pup had some damage done to it so now it has about the tone and output of a P-90

he used a duncan custom-custom in all his KRAMER 5150 strats
                              and then a dimarzio copy of that in the bridge of his EBMM sig guitar
                              so for his 1978 get the 78 duncan
                              for his 1980-84 tone make a custom/59 hybrid
                              http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22538

for his 1984-1990 use a custom custom
                              for his 1991 use a dimarzio air zone/air norton set
                              after that his tone got so bad i doubt you would want to even care what he used!
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X