Floyd nut shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd nut shelf

What's the best way to carve out a Floyd nut shelf? I just bought an MIM Fender neck off of eBay and would like to put a locking nut on. I've done something similar in the past with files and sandpaper, so that's what I'll probably do again unless the experts here disagree.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

The best way would be to use a hand held router.
    Cut it in 3 or 4 passes nice and slow.
    Don't try and cut it all in one pass.
    Check the depth after each pass and hand finish with sandpaper and a block.
    -Rick

Comment

This thread might be helpful.

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/guitar-...loyd-rose.html

Comment

I actually MADE a lexan jig to cut the shelf with my Dremel tool. I've done two guitar necks, so far, and they've turned out, flawless. It kinda looks like a squared ping pong paddle. the "handle" has a slot in it, which rides, precisely over the first fret, and the underside is padded with rubber strips, to keep it from sliding around. The whole thing is kept in place with u-bolts, which are ALSO padded. At the headstock area, it hangs over, and has a special lexan pad, that sits on top of the headstock, and is height-adjustable, to ensure I get the jig perfectly parallel to my work. Sounds a bit complex, but it really isn't, and it works rather well.
        I use the Dremel 5/16" diameter shaping bit, as recommended by Dan Erlwine, and for a guide bearing, I stack 5/16" diameter washers, that so happen to fit over the 1/8" shaft of the bit, perfectly.
        Thank God I made this, because I'm about to embark on, yet, another project, and am already eyeing up necks on Ebay, like you, to dig into. Fun stuff. hehe.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have a simple jig that I attach to the neck and I use my router table.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for all the input.
            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
            X