Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold hardware...

Hello

I don't like gold hardware because of a personal preference, just don't like the looks on gold in a guitar, but I surely understand that a lot of people actually love it.

My question is, ain't gold hardware supposed to be the easiest to fade and get stained or so? I've always read about gold hardware being the first in getting faded around the edges and sometimes rusted or something like that, more than black and much more than chrome.

So, is this true, and if it is, do the people who choose gold know about the life span of it's looks and even so they still buy it?

This may seem alright and simple to most people, like "sure, when it becomes faded, just swap away the hardware" or "I love the way faded gold hardware looks because it shows wear" or something like that, but I ask this question since for me being very careful with my gear and generally most of my stuff I can't stand objects that get deteriorated fast.

I think the finish deteriorates faster for people with more acidic sweat. My hands don't sweat very much at all, so it's not much of a concern for me. Besides, guitars are instruments meant to be played, not locked up in a museum. Of course there are certain exceptions, like that dragon PRS for one...

Comment

from what I've seen, you are right. and I share your view.

but I do think Sperzels are the one company making corrosion-resistant gold hardware w/ that powder coated look they do. I'd go for those if I was needing gold replacement hardware.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

i ruined my 1983 strat's gold hw in less than 1 year, and i wiped it down regulary. i'd say acidic sweat. i have had 0 problems with chrome hw and ok luck with black. chrome is it for me, followed by black, and gold if I want a relic look
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I've never had issues with gold or black hardware. Every couple of months I'll clean the hardware real good and instead of regular oil like 3-in-1 or something I use CLP oil for guns. It cleans lubricates and protects and doesn't leave an oily feel on the hardware.

Then between cleanings I wipe the hardware that was touched or handled down with a silicon cloth... The hardware only with the silicon though. I've never seen rust or corrosion and the only parts that have faded are the areas of the bridge rubbed out by palm movement.
          Last edited by St.James; 12-27-2006, 10:00 PM.
          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
            i ruined my 1983 strat's gold hw in less than 1 year, and i wiped it down regulary. i'd say acidic sweat.
            That's one of the main problems... wiping it down. The sweat by itself isn't that bad, just don't wipe it down so much.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have 8 gold Floyded guitars so I guess you could say I like the look

I haven't found them to fade much but I dont have much acidity in my sweat. I've actualy had black fade and show more wear than than gold for me...
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

There are roughly 3 million more important things in life to worry about than whether gold hardware is shiny enough, so naturally I don't care if mine appear faded/worn/etc to anyone else.

That said, the gold Schaller Floyd on my CSB NASL (by far the most-played guitar I own) is still as shiny as the day it was made, though it is a bit dusty under the strings, and I have very oily skin.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The only fade or wear I've seen on my guitars with gold hardware is on the guitars that have gold pickup covers ala Les Paul's or Gibson's in general. I have no fading or wear on other parts.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                  X