JT580LP and pickup spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580LP and pickup spacing

So I bought a NOS Kelly KE3 Saturday and liked everything about it but the Duncan Design pups. They are the Invader copies and are absolutely the worst POS I have ever heard, even after adjusting the height and poles, etc. Then I noticed that the poles on the high strings are not properly spaced and that seems to be a cause for how weak they sound. I have now learned about "F spacing" and "trembuckers" so I'm guessing the following: That given this is a Floyd-copy trem, the factory put in trembucker spaced pickups, but that the spacing on the JT580LP is standard, hence the LP designation. Does this sound right and if so, wouldn't the techs at Jackson know this????????????

Has anybody else run into this?
    "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

IIRC, LP = Low Profile. It has nothing to do with string spacing.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

The LP means Low Profile, nothing else.
      As for the string spacing, it's the same as a Floyd.
      F-Spaced (DiMarzio) and Trembucker (Seymour Duncan) mean the exact same thing, the poles are spaced for a Floyd.
      -Rick

Comment

The 580LP is a floyd copy so it is "Trem"(olo)bucker spaced or "F"loyd spaced. The Detonators are regular spaced but SD does not make F spaced invaders because the poles are so wide they don't need to . All other duncan designed pups are F spaced. The detonators just suck.

Comment

Got it. These pups suck bad. I'm ordering another set of sh-6's tonight. Enough is enough. Thanks for the help.
          "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
            The 580LP is a floyd copy so it is "Trem"(olo)bucker spaced or "F"loyd spaced.
            F-spacing originally was meant as "Fender" trem spacing, then later on for Floyds.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, because Gibson changed the angle of their bridges so they have the same spacing as Fender/Floyds.

The Duncan Distortion is hot enough that it doesn't need to be F-spaced, and in fact sound better (to me anyway) when they're not perfectly aligned under the strings. The TB-6 (Trem-spaced) sounds more like a JB to me, unless you tilt the pickup a bit (one side higher than the other).
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X