Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get a string through guitar to stay in tune???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a string through guitar to stay in tune???

I put Planet Waves Autotrim tuners on my SLSMG not too long ago, but it still doesn't stay in tune any better than it did before. G string always goes out after bends, etc. Any idea what I can do?

Are you winding the strings properly on the tuning pegs?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Here is a good way to string the guitar.
      http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

make sure the string does not bind in the nut slot. Any pinging you hear while tuning indicates binding. If you get pinging the slot should be opened up a bit. You can buy nut files yourself or take it to someone. Also, you might find using pencil lead in the nut slots helps keep things sliding nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
        Are you winding the strings properly on the tuning pegs?
        They're locking tuners, there is no winding to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
          They're locking tuners, there is no winding to worry about.
          You still need to wind your strings 2 times on it. Lovking means the tuenrs lock and place and wont slip. Try stretching your strings after you put them on. No offense but It sounds liek something you're doing, as my DK2T is string thru, and probably uses the same tuners that came stock on your SLSMG, and never goes out of tune.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            You still need to wind your strings 2 times on it.
            No, you don't. That would defeat the purpose of a locking tuner. No wind is necessary.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is there an easy way to lubricate the nut? Is that possibly the issue? Or maybe the tuners are turning themselves flat when I bend?? I don't know, it seems ridiculous for them to go out of tune when Carvin builds guitars with locking tuners instead of locking nuts on their Floyded guitars all the time.

CharvelRocker, even if I wanted to, I can't put windings on the tuner, they are PlanetWaves Autotrim tuners, they cut the string as soon as I start turning the peg. Locking tuners don't lock in place, they have a pin inside of them that raises when you turn a thumbscrew on the back that clamps the string in the tuner so that you can cut the end off with no windings and have the string hold in place. The point of a locking tuner is to have no winding at all on the post so you don't get slippage caused by the windings, as far as I know. I dunno, maybe they are working fine, I just expected a lot more. Anyone else used these tuners?

Comment

Ok didnt know that about those tuners. And I thought you needed to wind at least once on any tuner. Carry on

Comment

Dumpy, get some graphite powder.
                  You can buy it at almost any hardware store.
                  http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...68.html?ref=42
                  Just put a little bit on the strings slots in the nut.
                  -Rick

Comment

MF sells Nut Sauce. It comes with a small file and a lubricator and is specifically for keeping your strings from binding at the nut.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                      Nut Sauce
                      That name is just soooooo wrong. What idiot thought that one up?
                      Everytime I see it I can't help but laugh my ass off. :ROTF:
                      -Rick

Comment

Laugh all you want, but I saw the demonstration booth at NAMM and dude had this machine that would bend a string 100 times a minute (pulling the string sideways near the pickups), and it had run for so long the counter broke off of it after like 30K

I bought 2 bottles of it on the spot, though dude did seem a bit confused when he was explaining to me that the majority of string breakage occurs at the bridge, which is why you should oil the nut :ROTF:

Anyhoo, I haven't used it yet - gonna try it on my Les Paul one of these days

You don't need to make a special trip fro graphite powder - get a cheap pack o pencils from WalMart or something and bust them open, or the pack of replacement "leads" for mechanical pencils - those are graphite.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ide check that the bridge posts arent moving. after that graphite in the nut slots. & i dont know planet waves but my sperzels 1/4 or 1/2 winding was enough to keep an old gretsch with a bigsby almost intune & thats a hefty feat for anyone who hasnt used a bigsby & old gretsch bridges suck.

Comment

Working...
                          X