My action got high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My action got high!

Why on my KV2 would the action all the sudden end up too high?

I moved into a new house about 3 months ago. Been playing the guitar and even changed strings and adjusted action after being in the house for a month.

I left the guitar in the case for about a week or so and pulled it out the other day.

The action at the 2nd or so fret is okay, but down towards the higher frets it is way too far from the frets to my liking.

Maybe it's psychological but it seems like it just changed one day.

Anyone have this happen?

I am really nervous about messing with the truss rod.

Sounds like your neck moved, possibly because of the different humidities between the old & new houses. If you're that nervous about tweaking the truss rod yourself, just take it to a competent local shop for a re-set-up. Ask around musicians in your area for recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      Sounds like your neck moved, possibly because of the different humidities between the old & new houses. If you're that nervous about tweaking the truss rod yourself, just take it to a competent local shop for a re-set-up. Ask around musicians in your area for recommendations.
      The new house is normally at 20% - 30% humidity with a constant temperature of about 72 in the basement.

The other house was a craphole and it was about 40% humidity and room temperature would fluctuate from 60 to 85 degrees depending on the season.

I could take it to the place I bought the guitar, but I had to set up the KV2 brand new after they claimed they did. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I get high frequently, but my action stays pretty much the same!
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          I get high frequently, but my action stays pretty much the same!
          My Guitars
          Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
          Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
          Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
          Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
          Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
          Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
          Kramer Vanguard S-440S
          Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
          Kramer F-1000 (Black)
          Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Yeah the neck moved form the lower humidity level. It dried out some. A tech should be able to do it.

Comment

I looked at the neck from the headstock down like this DVD mentioned.

Holy crap, the neck is concave!

I'm going to take the strings off, lemon oil the board really good. Put new strings on. Get it almost in tune, then turn the truss rod adjustment clockwise.

Of course I'll try all this on my Ibanez first.

Sound about right?

Comment

The neck must be concave. To get you started: hold the first and the last fret of the low E string and there should be about 1mm between the 9th fret and the string.
                If there is way more space tighten the trussrod, if the strings touch the frets loosen the trussrod. Then adust the height of the trem to your liking.

Comment

Be careful when adjusting your truss rod with your strings up to tension: it could snap the strings if you do a major adjustment. I would recomend tuning them down 2-3 steps just to be safe.

EDIT: Ok don't do that. ><
                  Last edited by CharvelRocker; 12-29-2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    Be careful when adjusting your truss rod with your strings up to tension: it could snap the strings if you do a major adjustment. I would recomend tuning them down 2-3 steps just to be safe.
                    No, you should tighten or loosen the rod at full tension. And you wouldn't need that much of a turn of the rod anyway... a little goes a long way. You may have to wait awhile for it to be noticeable, though.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      No, you should tighten or loosen the rod at full tension. And you wouldn't need that much of a turn of the rod anyway... a little goes a long way. You may have to wait awhile for it to be noticeable, though.
                      Ahh ok.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        So after I adjust it I should give it a month to see if it straightened out?

Also, should the neck be straight, a little concave, or a little convex? I think one response above said it should be a little convex. I haven't found a consistent answer with many google and jcfonline searches. Perhaps it's just preference?

Comment

Some guitars set-up nice with a straight neck, but most will need a little relief (concave), and you dont have to wait a month, anywhere from almost instantly to overnight should do it.
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Hehehe, I love this concave/convex-crap, nobody knows what is what.
                            Think "bow and arrow", the neck is the bow and the string is, well, the string. Thats what it must look like. Its not a matter of preference, only a matter of what concave and convex actually mean.
                            Last edited by max; 12-29-2006, 02:48 PM. Reason: The neck is the bow not the arrow, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                              Hehehe, I love this concave/convex-crap, nobody knows what is what.
                              Think "bow and arrow", the neck is the arrow and the string is, well, the string. Thats what it must look like. Its not a matter of preference, only a matter of what concave and convex actually mean.
                              I think you meant the neck is the bow and not the arrow, right?
                              "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Working...
                              X