internal electronics for a 3b bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internal electronics for a 3b bass

I have had a charvel 3b since 1986 except for about 12 months when it was out of my hands; in that period, the fool who had it ripped out the preamp and active pots and turned it into a completely passive bass - does anybody know where I can get replacement preamp and pots for this bass? with it, the bass sounds amazing - without - ordinary! - If anybody can help, I would appreciate it immensely!

i'd just replace the electronics with something that is currently available.. like a Bartolini or an Aguilar preamp.. both can be wired with the same configuration as the original JE-2000 preamp.. as for pickups, it's your choice.. i'd think it would be somewhat hard to find the exact Jackson PJ setup for it..

Comment

Originally posted by throbgod13 View Post
      i'd just replace the electronics with something that is currently available.. like a Bartolini or an Aguilar preamp.. both can be wired with the same configuration as the original JE-2000 preamp.. as for pickups, it's your choice.. i'd think it would be somewhat hard to find the exact Jackson PJ setup for it..
      Thanks - I'll try that - luckily, the original pickups are still in it, so she can be revived

Comment

I'd go with Fender pickups myself. My MIM P-bass sounded tons better than my Concert V with the Jacksons AND the JE2000.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with the other guys. The active electronics will primarily serve as a buffer between the bass and the connected gear, preserving the sound of the bass. Installing any new preamp/active circuit will bring back the life in your bass.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

thanks all, I'm currently looking at sadowski or aguilar, anybody tried them?
            Damm jackson haven't replied!

Comment

Even before the Fender buyout, you'd have probably had a tough time finding someone at J/C who'd know anything about the old Charvel basses. I have a 3B, and when the internal electronics died, I had them replaced with an EMG Bass Expander (EXB?) that has worked out great with the stock pickups. I loaned it to a couple of bands for use at Minneapolis Mayhem 3 last year - Steel Attack and Gaia Epicus I think it was - and their bassists loved the tone. The guy from Gaia Epicus said "that's how a bass SHOULD sound" when he handed it back.
              sigpic

Comment

dude, just buy the sadowski preamp, it's the real PRO thing. Amazing punch and clarity, one of the best pres ever made.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

you might even look at Audere preamps.. they can custom make a harness for you..

http://audereaudio.com/index.htm

another one to look at is the J East preamps.. although, most likely you'll have to drill for additional knobs/switches..

http://www.east-uk.com/

the control cavity is pretty large, so you shouldn't have any problem installing additional pots/switches or electronics.. or batteries..

this is my 1987 Charvel 3B.. i just installed copper shielding & 18V.. and cleaned the rat's nest of wires that is the JE2000 preamp.. sheesh.. i'm thinking of replacing all the pots for the JE2000.. and actually going through the preamp itself and replacing what need to be replaced.. it's too bad that there isn't a way to adjust the mids on the stock preamp.. i can't really complain, it's concussive/massive.. i can punch clean holes through concrete with it.. i love this bass... (and no, the solder joints are not cold, i scrubbed the cavity down with a scotchbrite pad..)

Comment

jackson 3b bass with je-2000 preamp

I have recently acquired the above je-2000 bass preamp which i believe was fitted to the 3b bass. Thing is, i want to put this into one of my basses and need a wiring diagram to do this but cannot seem to find one anywhere on the net. Can anyone help? thanks

Comment

i think there's a diagram in the tech section try the search function
                      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Dude, you're lucky! Here's a NOS JE2000 preamp:
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Charvel-...mZ150171300982

It's been on eBay for few months now and couldn't sell with a 30$ BIN....now's your chance .

Comment

Working...
                        X