Need a bridge pickup for King V Pro Mustaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bridge pickup for King V Pro Mustaine

I'm thinking about swapping the J92c for a Duncan Distortion. I'm after the Countdown to Extinction Megadeth sound, In My Darkest Hour, Go to Hell, and such.

I'm told a JB is good for Youthanasia and current Megadeth.

Is the Duncan Distortion what I'm after ? Is there a difference between the new ones for sale and the 80's version JBJ or DDJ models or are they all the same?

Thanks!
    Dave

What will you do with the J92c? Some people consider it the holy grail of Jackson pickups .

Comment

Mustaine used to use a JB.

Comment

Originally posted by caesar81 View Post
        I'm told a JB is good for Youthanasia and current Megadeth.
        This is correct, it´s IMO good for practically everything post KIMB...ABIG, partly because it correlates to his switch to jackson sometime around the Peace Sells (?) era.

Is the Duncan Distortion what I'm after ?
        IMO no

Is there a difference between the new ones for sale and the 80's version JBJ or DDJ models or are they all the same?
        20 years of age with all the up and downsides such as a slightly weaker magnet and more brittle hookup wire. Otherwise the difference is minimal at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
          What will you do with the J92c? Some people consider it the holy grail of Jackson pickups .
          I predict that he'll quickly reach 100 posts and sell it to a JCFer in the classified section.

Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
            I predict that he'll quickly reach 100 posts and sell it to a JCFer in the classified section.

actually, last i heard was the new post requirement was 100 and 90 days so "quickly" hitting 100 posts doesnt really fit into the equation

Comment

Back on topic.... it's my understanding that Dave used a JB for his entire Jackson "career". The Distortion and JB are the same pickup, it's just that the JB has Alnico magnets instead of Ceramic.

However, a simple magnet swap doeschange the tone of the pickup, and the Distortion is more suited for low-gain amps (or rather, those amps that do not have a really high amount of gain). If you're using an amp that has tons of gain (which you really won't need for Megadeth anyway), the JB will get you close to Dave's tone. The rest is in your fingers.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Back on topic.... it's my understanding that Dave used a JB for his entire Jackson "career". The Distortion and JB are the same pickup, it's just that the JB has Alnico magnets instead of Ceramic.

However, a simple magnet swap doeschange the tone of the pickup, and the Distortion is more suited for low-gain amps (or rather, those amps that do not have a really high amount of gain). If you're using an amp that has tons of gain (which you really won't need for Megadeth anyway), the JB will get you close to Dave's tone. The rest is in your fingers.
                Just to add, the Distortion´s magnet is also oversized by about 50%

Comment

Sounds like the JB is what I'm after then guys. So basically it's the age that mekes them sound different. Thanks alot guys.
                  I'm using a pretty small amp right now, a Marshall MG 30 watt. Just till I can get a nice tube amp. Merry Christmas guys !
                  Dave

Comment

This site here says Dave Mustaine used a Duncan distortion and see for yourselves: For the So Far...So Good... So What... era , does this equate to Countdown to Extinction specs also?

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/J2713/front.jpg

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/J2713/back.jpg

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/J2713/index.htm

J2713
                    Owner: Jani
                    Uploaded: 06-12-2006 Year: 1986 Factory: San Dimas
                    Color: Black w/Megadeth logo Body: Poplar
                    Neck: Maple Fingerboard: Ebony Frets: 24 thin
                    Bridge: Kahler APM3300 Hardware : Black
                    Pickups: Duncan DDJ & Lawrence L500 Pickguard: No
                    Controls: 2 x volume, 1 x tone, 5-way blade switch
                    Other features: Sharkin inlays, bindings

I'm still inclined to believe a Distortion is used up till abd including Countdown To Extinction. Thanks guys!
                    Last edited by caesar81; 12-28-2006, 01:10 PM.

Comment

That may be true for that particular guitar since the pickups and electronics were changed, but he never had one built with a Distortion.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Yeah, I know you are right about that. But did he use the distortion from 88-93 in the logo KV and the silver KV?
                        Thanks man.

Comment

I don't know when it started, but I also remember reading somewhere that Dave's tech would disconnect the neck pups on most of his guitars because he didn't use them.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah I heard that too, that means the Lawrence never was used then. Does he use both pickups now though, the JB/Jazz I mean ? Would think so.
                            Last edited by caesar81; 12-28-2006, 10:31 PM.

Comment

No, he uses the Duncan Dave Mustaine live wires now.

Comment

Working...
                              X