Action and picking strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action and picking strength

When I first got my sl2h I wondered if the 18th fret was too high, needed dressing or hammering in. Bends were buzzing at the 16th and 17th. But recently I've realized that by picking less strongly on bends, and making sure I don't over-bend (a technique problem of mine) I can get no buzz. I have the action pretty low, less than 2 dunlop jazz III's on the 24th fret, and the 12 fret is less than 0.02. I was reading the thread about good action and I realized I have mine set quite low. No doubt with some dressing of the 18th fret I could have it lower and be able to pick harder. This confirms that if you want low action you have to adjust your attack as well. It's testament to Jackson's quality that I could have it so low out of the box. When it arrived though, the trem was well under the body of the guitar - I don't know what they were thinking when they set the action up so low.

So...what is your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      So...what is your question?
      I don't have one. Do you think newbies only come here to ask questions?

Comment

sounds like the trem would have to be below the body surface to get the action that low. since i had my guitar restrung (super slinky 9's, don't know if that has any effect) and the action lowered, i don't have to pick as hard as before. the bottom of the trem plate is now flush with the body surface wheras before it was 2mm+ above the surface. if you're getting buzzing at the 18th fret, try increasing the action and trem height. if it doesn't disappear, then i guess the frets do need sorting.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by overdriven View Post
          I don't have one. Do you think newbies only come here to ask questions?
          All sorts of members ask questions here. This is the "Tech Q&A" section after all...

Comment

Yeah, all we get is questions around here, hardly anyone knows anything until we tell them

Anyhoo, given Jackson's history of making guitars for shredders, it is logical to assume that they would be set up for players who use a light touch, as opposed to Strat or Les Paul players who typically have a heavier hand.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Anyhoo, given Jackson's history of making guitars for shredders, it is logical to assume that they would be set up for players who use a light touch, as opposed to Strat or Les Paul players who typically have a heavier hand.
              That's old school thinking Matt. Now that FMIC bought them, they are more versatile, and can even be used to play country music.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ahh, so that is why everyone advertises their beat-to-shit firewood as "MAID PRE-FNEDER, THEY ARNT BILT LIEK DIS NEMORE".

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                  That's old school thinking Matt. Now that FMIC bought them, they are more versatile, and can even be used to play country music.
                  I know it´s a joke, but THAT is what I´d call old school thinking bro

Comment

Working...
                  X