what's the best humidity % for guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best humidity % for guitars

I think its 40% but i'm not a totally sure, am i righT?

40-50% is what's recommended by most luthiers.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Electric or Acoustic? I'll assume electric and say 50-55% is what I keep mine at and the boards still seem to get dry every 4 months or so so I oil them. Acoustics need to have a little bit more humidity

Comment

I've always heard around 50%.

Comment

damn i'm at 30% :S for my eletric
          i just turned on the humidifier it think it'll be ok, 50 seams like alot.

Comment

Acoustics preffer it around 45-55% to keep them from drying out and cracking. (for solid topped or all solid paneled acoustics.) Laminates arent as critical although periodic lemon oil on the finger board and bridge will help. Like when the weather gets cold. Typically if a guitar is gettin played regularly the oils in your skin are enough to keep the board from drying out. But keep an eye on it. electrics are another story. Theydont really care too much. Its more temparature with them as it is with acoustics as well. The main thing is the neck will shift quite a bit on an electric if temp isnt kept stable. The body of an electric (well most) is sealed and not needing humidity to keep it from crackin unlike the acoustic. The neck is tha main concern so just keep an eye on it.
            Gil

Comment

My guitars are on stands in my living room, where I keep the humidity in the 40-60% range. That might seem like a wide spread, but in an apartment with only a wall air-conditioning unit for the entire place, it's a miracle that I can keep it within 20% year-round. That's with a dehumidifier in the summer. Prior to buying that, most of the guitars' necks were in dire need of adjustment before June.
              sigpic

Comment

Out here in nevada, where the humidity averages about 20-30%, or less, I dont have any issues at all, just lemon oil the fretboard every string change. What a dry ass state 2"-3" average rainfall a year.
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

In general (e and A guitars combined) 50% is pretty much ideal.

But much more important than the actual value is that it stays relatively stable

Comment

Working...
                  X