Tightening a neck???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightening a neck???

Okay..I admit it I am a bit of a noob when comes to working on guitars! Now that I got that out of the way here is my problem...I just swapped a neck from my Charvel Model 1 to another model 1 body. The pockets are identicle. I have tightened the 4 neck screws as tight as possible but I can't seam to get the neck to sit flat in the pocket. There is a tiny gap no matter what I do. Whats the secret? Should I clamp the neck to the body before tightening the screws?
    Please help!

dont clamp it just take the screws out and hold the body and neck tight . then put screws in it should now be flat
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Never use the screws to pull the neck into the pocket.
      Always make sure the neck is FULLY seated BEFORE you start bolting it in.
      -Rick

Comment

Here's something I learned. The holes on the new neck won't be the same as the old one. So, I would see how the screws set in with the neck off the guitar. And another thing. When putting the same neck back on make sure that you put the screws back into the same holes they came out of. Not doing that has caused me grief.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Never use the screws to pull the neck into the pocket.
          Always make sure the neck is FULLY seated BEFORE you start bolting it in.
          thats basically what i was trying to say
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

The screw threads are hung in the body. Take the screws out and the neck off. You can clamp it with a padded C Clamp. Pad the clamp frame and ends with foam and tape, put a block of wood on top of the fret board. Run the clamp down with the neck plate on till the neck is seated. The Model 1 starts cutting threads in the body portion (different from USA's), so the neck needs to be seated first.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! The problem is I start with the neck flush in the pocket, but as I tighten the screws it lifts up slightly. I am thinking of using a C clamp just to hold it in place I guess.
              Cory.

Comment

Working...
              X