Shipping in Hard Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping in Hard Case

Ok, guys i have a hard case and need to ship. Can i just place the guitar in the case and tape it up? What is the preferred method for shipping this way. It is being shipped within the US, so no customs.
    Thanks

If it's a form fit case it shouldn't be a problem. If the guitar moves around at all in the case, pack the body in there tightly with bubblewrap. The important part is that the guitar can't slide toward the headstock end at all. And don't pack a bunch of stuff tightly at the end of the headstock either, it just gives it somethng else to run into. I usually pack the body tightly and put nothing at the headstock end. There's no way I could count how many guitars I've shipped over the last few years, and I've never had a single one damaged. 99% of those were shipped UPS too.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'd put the case in a cardboard box as well. While the case was made for gigging, it was not made for shipping, so the latches and handle could be damaged in transit unless it's in a box (which is why they are shipped to the store in a box).

If you don't have a box, the local furniture store might have a matress box for a crib or other baby bed (got a guitar in one of those boxes once - they're the perfect size!), or you can get 2 rolls of heavy duty shipping paper from WalMart and 2 rolls of clear packaging tape (Duck brand).
      Mummify the case using both rolls, tape it up like a Christmas present, and shlep it down to UPS.

The tape strip in the center (where the two rolls overlap) makes a great gripping surface, as that paper is slippery (dust dries your hands).

I shipped a Pedulla bass to Tokyo in the SKB case wrapped up like that with no trouble, as well as countless other guitars across America.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well yeah Matt, I assumed he was going to put the case in a box too!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You should probably put the case in box to keep from getting banged up and to keep the buyer from getting pissed. The case will probably get beat to crap and latches probably broken off. Not to mention that it might be tempting for someone along the way to have a look to see if there are any parts worth helping themselves to.
          I had someone ship a guitar from AZ to NM (7 hr. car ride), and it received a pretty good beating. The back half of the case looked like it had been used as a pinata.

Comment

tape up the case...wrap in bubble rap and put in a double sided box..do not just put an address lable on a case and ship it like that
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

What I have found effective is this:
              1. prevent movement inside the case using bubblewrap as stated above.
              2. wrap the case with cardboard directly against the case leaving a hole for the handle to poke through and be accessible.

I find that the delivery guys are a lot more nicer to guitars if they have a handle they can hang on to.

Same with cabs. if you leave cutouts so that they can grab onto the handles, they seem to treat them much better.

But as always, YMMV.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Wrap everything in bubble wrap. And yes, that includes the tremelo arm!!! Also tape it to the inside on the cavity. You'll be amazed at how much damage a tremelo arm can do if it escapes the compartment...
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                X