Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the symptoms for worn floyd studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the symptoms for worn floyd studs?

A description would be nice...

Thanx a mil
    /Thoraby

Edit: and the type of Floyd posts that have to be adjusted with a non-metric allen wrench are hella old, right?
    Last edited by Thoraby; 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM.

do you mean the studs that go into the wood of the body? (what some people would call trem posts)

if that is what you mean. sometimes, over time they will get loose in the socket. and wiggle abit, causing tuning instability. i don't know if anyone has a fix for this that doesn't require doweling the hole and redoing the posts.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I would check the knife edges of your trem, as well, if they are grooved or worn, your basically in for a new trem.

Comment

No actually I was talking about the part of the post which comes in contact with the Floyd knife edges. You know, the V-shaped part of the stud.
        The black finish is all scaled of and worn down around that area, but how do you see if they need replacing?

Thanx
        /Thoraby

Comment

Clean all the chips off the grooves. And I think you can clean up the knife edges with very light filing. You have nothing to lose, so see if that works. Don't give up.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

The V shaped groove should be uniform all the way around.
            If has flat spots or areas where the V has been expanded, replace the trem studs.
            It's not uncommon for the paint to flake off of the posts.
            Sweat from playing and making height adjustments on the studs while the trem is still in place will cause the finish to come off.
            -Rick

Comment

They are scarred all over and look pretty beat to shit. Think they are original from 1986 or whenever. But the V shaped groove is uniform all the way around. But when I feel with my nail there's a small "dimp" right in the grove, and this is UNIFORMLY. I'm thinking it's uniformly worned?

Either way the symptom i'm experiencing is it goes kinda flat when I dive the bar HARD, sharp when I pull up. But that doesn't always happen. Sometimes it comes back in tune after a light dive, sometimes not. It has to be the wear in the posts because I've fucking woodglued the inserts and teflontaped the posts. Knife edges are looking pretty fucking fabolous, and I've tried a gazillion different springs and it doesn't help.

Gah... the problems of being a cheapass and always buying 15+ year old guitars

Comment

Just curious. What did you buy?

Comment

Sounds like new posts might be in order... make sure your trem spings are getting hung up on anything either.
                  -Rick

Comment

Sounds like possibly a problem with the lock nut rather than the trem posts. Have you checked it? Just pluck a string, then press down on the string behind the nut. If it changes pitch any at all, there's your problem.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Sounds like new posts might be in order... make sure your trem spings are getting hung up on anything either.

Uhm..are you drinking?? You WANT the "spings" hung up?, either?? :ROTF:
                      Now before you reply, my defense is "I couldn't resist, and I AM drinking." OK? Funny shit bro.

Comment

Me and my Diet Coke. :ROTF:

I'm a poor speller. Ask Ron.
                        -Rick

Comment

Sounds like your springs are they on there right claw tooth or angled? If angled put them on the right one you need a straight pull for them to come back properly. Try 5 spring and ajust the claw for tension. One more thing are you tune to standard tuning ?

Comment

Sunbane: I got a Larrivée RS-1. Neckthru, single EMG85, OFR.

rjohnstone: New posts it is. Springs ain't touching nothing

mm2002: It does change pitch a weee bit when I stretch the strings behind the nut, but I think that's because of pressure changes, because when I detune the string behind the locked nut it doesn't really affect it noticeably

jtr: They're all straight. I'm using three springs, 12-56 strings tuned to B standard. I'ma setting her up with 10's in E-standard tonight, but I might just wait for the new posts...

Comment

I would still double check the lock nut. Mark's right, it shouldn't move at all. Not even a tiny bit.
                              You may need a new lock nut if they are grooved or slipping.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X